VLC affecting IE opening media files wmv mpgs in WMP !

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
BamBam
New Cone
New Cone

VLC affecting IE opening media files wmv mpgs in WMP !

Postby BamBam » 22 Sep 2008 09:28

Just installed VLC 0.92 on my new Dell Vista PC !
Works greats as always ! But for some reason it stops Internet Explorer links to .wmv .mpg files opening now in Windows Media Player!
If I hit a link to one of these files from IE it just now returns an error page whereas before it would open the media file in WMP imediately!
Tried resetting default player etc to VLC and also WMP which is now in Control Panel, that works sometimes, but is hit and miss to what opens !
Now I get the download box opening FIRST then the media file afterwards ! But not all the time !
Same behaviour for both programmes ! Tried setting default programme open with, but that didnt solve it either, even with some rebooting and router resets !

Uninstalled VLC and WMPlayer now back to normal operation as per preinstallation !

Never had this problem before with XP over many years ! So what changed in Vista ? Any Ideas anyone ?
Or is it a known bug that I haven't been able to find out anywhere?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: VLC affecting IE opening media files wmv mpgs in WMP !

Postby VLC_help » 22 Sep 2008 16:15

What does it say on that error page?

BamBam
New Cone
New Cone

Postby BamBam » 22 Sep 2008 18:22

Just the normal blank White page with the normal stuff !

You may not be connected to the internet !
Click here to diagnose etc etc !
Cant remember all the lines now as have uninstalled VLC and WMP all working fine again !

Maybe I should try an earlier version that worked with my XP !
Strange though that no one else seems to have discovered this yet !

The URL shows clearly in the header with the mpg or wmv target file, but instead of WMP opening with the file and running, you just get the blank error page !

Mic-Beatz
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Mic-Beatz » 22 Sep 2008 18:50

when installing VLC be sure that all the file associations are UNCHECKED ! Because VLC authors didnt include it in preferences ! doh!

BamBam
New Cone
New Cone

Postby BamBam » 22 Sep 2008 19:58

Yes I noticed that also ! But am sure I made sure that none of the file associations were checked when installing also !

In Vista the file associations are now in Control Panel also ! Changed them there also so that none were pointing at VLC but still same problem with WMP !

Think I might wait for the next release or maybe try an older version. But I cant believe that I am the only person that has experienced this problem so far !

Or maybe it just hasn't been mentioned yet ! As soon as I uninstalled VLC the problem with WMP was resolved like magic !

Thanks !

klavs_m
New Cone
New Cone

Postby klavs_m » 01 Oct 2008 17:51

I have exactly the same problem, uninstalling VLC fixes it.

The machine Im on is also a brand new DELL laptop so it could be a problem with preinstalled software but I am not sure.

digitall2
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby digitall2 » 02 Oct 2008 02:52

Using Vista x64, VLC .0.9.2 and nVidea GPU, and although use Firefox as Browser of choice without any of these issues, also IE8 beta has none of them either! VLC is associated with .mpg and .wmv, but make certain in Control Panel with the "Set Associations" under "Protocols" and that the Named "MMS" and it's "Description" of "URL:MMS Protcol" is set under the "Current Default Column" as "Windows Media Player". Those Videos should launch in a New Window and play with the Media Player Plugin. Another option if it still will not work with IE and you really want to have VLC, the try Firefox with the media player plugin and all should be good. Vista and IE has more built-in security and other third party security programs could cause prevention of Internet Videos. I actually had to allow IE to play anything even on the Window's Content Site. :wink:

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”