Video freezes/plays choppy/synch problem in Vista

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
SLJFisher
New Cone
New Cone

Video freezes/plays choppy/synch problem in Vista

Postby SLJFisher » 08 Sep 2008 22:13

I'm running version 086h and am having difficulty playing mov files.

Video will play for about 3 seconds, then it will freeze, while audio keeps going. After a few seconds, video will move again (very choppily) then refreeze and audio will keep going. This makes everything out of synch. Sometimes the audio would also break up, but that only seemed to occur if I had the video function enabled.

I am a novice when it comes to videos and using VLC. Can someone help me figure this out?

Thanks.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Video freezes/plays choppy/synch problem in Vista

Postby VLC_help » 09 Sep 2008 13:58

Have you tried nightlies?
http://nightlies.videolan.org/

simon_newbie
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby simon_newbie » 09 Sep 2008 14:49

Hello I did not intend to do multi-post but the original topic "VLC media player and Windows Vista" was locked. No-one can reply there which means no-one would help me on that problem.

My problem is also a synch problem in Vista. Subtitle flashed and gone long before the related audio finished. VLC_help suggested me to try VLC nightlies. I install vlc-1.0.0-git-20080908-0006-win32.exe. Then I open file > video ( ... .ts ...) and choose the problematic .ts file to play. And go to video to play subtitle. Then it showed "VLC does not support the audio or video format "telx"." No subtitle was played. I uninstall it. What does that mean? I tried to playback recording in ts file of a cartoon "Dora the explorer" broadcasted from Channel 9 a free-to-air channel. Shouldn't be anything special?

Next VLC_help said I could tried ProjectX to demux the file. I have Java installed but I cannot install ProjectX. The message is"unable to write file c:\program files\ProjectX_0.90.4.00\JETRT\BASELINE370.DLL". Can ProjectX be used in Vista? Or is there anything wrong with my Windows cos I got crashed after install test build VLC 0.9.x before.

SLJFisher
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SLJFisher » 09 Sep 2008 15:43

Have you tried nightlies?
http://nightlies.videolan.org/
I have not, and am unfamiliar with nightlies. I'm sorry, but I am very new to VLC player (I just downloaded it for the first time yesterday) and am unfamiliar with much of this. I looked at the files, and I would not know how to install those.

Could the problem be possibly linked to my graphics capabilities? I do not have a separate video card, my video is on the motherboard. Could this be the cause of the problem?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 10 Sep 2008 15:56

SLJFisher: VLC should work with all display adapters. Even on integrated ones. 0.8.6 have been discontinued on support so that is why I suggest people to try nightlies and if same problems still exist, report back.

simon_newbie: you are allowed to open own threads for you problems, no need to hijack other threads. And there is no need to install ProjectX. Just extracting the packet and running ProjectX-v0.90.04.00-20060330.jar should be enough.

simon_newbie
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby simon_newbie » 11 Sep 2008 16:33

Hello vlc_help

Thanks for your help. But I must be so dumb. I google ProjectX and found two websites useful. The first one http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=124556. This one I downloaded two zip files. ProjectX_LanguagePack_0.90.4.00.zip which only contained 6 properties files and one read me txt file. The other one ProjectX_Source_eng_0.90.4.00.zip contained a whole hip of files but only commons-net-1.3.0.jar and jakarta-oro-2.0.8.jar.

The second website http://www.videohelp.com/tools/ProjectX gave a "Projectx compiled with Java included here (20MB)" file but only contained a ProjectX_090.4.00.exe file. I tried to google "ProjectX-v0.90.04.00-20060330.jar" but the result gave me 3 pages of links to forums talking about this .jar file. Except the first one referring back to this topic of this forum is English, the rest are in other languages I can't read. So my question is: do I pick the wrong website and download a wrong projectx? or where is this ProjectX-v0.90.04.00-20060330.jar hiding? One thing I did was unzip all three zip files downloaded and use Windows search to find this ProjectX-v0.90.04.00-20060330.jar but nothing was found. So far I am not able to download this ProjectX-v0.90.04.00-20060330.jar file. Please kindly help me. Much appreciated.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 12 Sep 2008 17:05

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”