DVD Subtitles gone

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
nimrod
New Cone
New Cone

DVD Subtitles gone

Postby nimrod » 21 Mar 2007 18:32

Hello

Since a few days are the subtitles gone, and I have deleted VLC and settings and reinstalled it, but they are still not visible

what can I do ?

greets

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 21 Mar 2007 21:34

Try selecting the sub via the DVD menu for your language.

nimrod
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nimrod » 22 Mar 2007 18:48

I tried it but it doesnt work :(

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 23 Mar 2007 06:39

If the sub is marked CC (Closed Captioning) it may not work.

nimrod
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nimrod » 23 Mar 2007 15:28

I have watched the DVD earlier with subtitles :?

iceko
New Cone
New Cone

Postby iceko » 23 Mar 2007 16:24

When I watch a film(an . avi in this case) and also open the subtitle file, the subtitles are always about 4 seconds too early..

Bad subs? or something I can do.

Didn't know if this was worth another Topic btw.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 23 Mar 2007 18:09

the subtitles are always about 4 seconds too early..
You could use the hotkey Ctrl H [Subtitle delay up] or Ctrl J [Subtitle delay down] to adjust the subtitle delay.

u2syrelle
New Cone
New Cone

subtitle quesiton

Postby u2syrelle » 24 Mar 2007 03:47

can someone tell me how to apply a subtitle file and get it working when I play a foreign film?

nimrod
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nimrod » 24 Mar 2007 20:15

Weird, the subs work on some DVDs, but not with all :oops:

nimrod
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nimrod » 13 May 2007 00:18

I have this problem just with my HongKong Legend DVDs, the other DVDs works fine :?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: subtitle quesiton

Postby DJ » 14 May 2007 02:13

can someone tell me how to apply a subtitle file and get it working when I play a foreign film?
An external sub will work with VLC if the sub was made for the file. All that should be necessary is that the FPS (Frames Per Second) matches.

If the sub file doesn't auto open (0.8.6b) then use the Open file Menu to select the sub file. For multi language subs that do not have a default, right click on the video and scroll to subtitles and select your language.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 14 May 2007 07:38

@ nimrod: Hey guy you gotta stop complaining, your the guy who's fault it is that we have all this confusion about languages anyway. It all started with that stupid idea to build the tower of Babel and God stopped that cold by confusing the languages so it could never be finished. :P

So the next time you get a brilliant idea think about what your doing!

nimrod
New Cone
New Cone

Re: subtitle quesiton

Postby nimrod » 03 Sep 2008 16:40

An external sub will work with VLC if the sub was made for the file. All that should be necessary is that the FPS (Frames Per Second) matches.

If the sub file doesn't auto open (0.8.6b) then use the Open file Menu to select the sub file. For multi language subs that do not have a default, right click on the video and scroll to subtitles and select your language.

But its from a DVD, there a no subtitle files, and I have tried to select a subtitle with right click

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Re: DVD Subtitles gone

Postby Arite » 03 Sep 2008 17:55

@ nimrod: Hey guy you gotta stop complaining, your the guy who's fault it is that we have all this confusion about languages anyway. It all started with that stupid idea to build the tower of Babel and God stopped that cold by confusing the languages so it could never be finished. :P
:lol:.

But its from a DVD, there a no subtitle files, and I have tried to select a subtitle with right click
This topic has spanned across 16 months :)!

Firstly try deleting your preferences and cache files. Go to (if you are using WinXP):
C:\Documents and Settings\(Your username)\Application Data

And delete the "vlc" folder. Then open up VLC and try a DVD.

If that does not help, as DJ said if the subtitles are CC (Closed Captioning) it may not work (should say on the back of the DVD case). However, as of VLC 0.9.x CC subtitles is supported. Try a nightly build of it or download this test build:
http://people.videolan.org/~jb/Builds/0 ... -win32.exe

And then try playing a DVD.

Cheers, Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

nimrod
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nimrod » 03 Sep 2008 18:22

I dont need it anymore, only for flv files, ISOs and torrentvideos

For DVDs I'm using Power DVD :D

simon_newbie
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby simon_newbie » 07 Sep 2008 13:29

If that does not help, as DJ said if the subtitles are CC (Closed Captioning) it may not work (should say on the back of the DVD case). However, as of VLC 0.9.x CC subtitles is supported. Try a nightly build of it or download this test build:
http://people.videolan.org/~jb/Builds/0 ... -win32.exe

Hello I am using Windows Vista Home Premium. Following the above test build, I install VLC 0.9.x to find that it did not support ts file. So I uninstall it. But then I cannot reinstall VLC 0.8.6i, and if I reinstall it, it cannot be run, a message saying "the procedure entry point_block_New could not be located in the dynamic link library libvlc.dll". If I click ok on the error message, another error message come "The procedure entry point_config_GetInt could not be located in the dynamic link library libvlc.dll". Next come "The procedure entry point config-Duplicate could not be located in the dynamic link library libvlc.dll". Then "the procedure entry point_block_New could not be located in the dynamic link library libvlc.dll". Then "The procedure entry point_msg_Generic could not be located in the dynamic linklibrary libvlc.dll". Then "the procedure entry point_block_New could not be located in the dynamic link library libvlc.dll". Then "The procedure entry point_config_GetInt could not be located in the dynamic link library libvlc.dll". Then "procedure entry point_msg_Generic could not be located in the dynamic linklibrary libvlc.dll". Then "The procedure entry point EnsureUTF8 could not be located in the dynamic link library libvlc.dll". Then "The procedure entry point_image_HandlerCreate could not be located in the dynamic link library libvlc.dll". Then "The procedure entry point aout_FormatNbChannels could not be located in the dynamic link library libvlc.dll". Then "The procedure entry point LocateFree could not be located in the dynamic link library libvlc.dll". There are a whole hip of error message until I uninstall VLC 0.8.6i. After I have uninstalled VLC from control panel, in C:\program files, I still have a folder named VideoLAN that carries 52 files in 6 folders total 2.81MB that cannot be deleted. Always come a message saying "need permission" to delete it. I have tried the System restore options ten times, each choose earlier restore point but none successful. I'm sure this test build carried serious errors that have completely destroy the Windows system restore operation.

Any option I can try to fix my computer? Or should I try to restore the factory setting?

Please help! Thanks.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 08 Sep 2008 11:16

Kill vlc.exe process or restart the computer. After that you should be able to remove those files.

simon_newbie
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby simon_newbie » 08 Sep 2008 16:35

Hello Thanks I got that deleted. Haven't tried system restore operation to see any error yet. Maybe wait for a few days to allow some more restore points built to see if the system restore operation would work properly. Thanks.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 09 Sep 2008 13:48

Why would you want to do system restore?

simon_newbie
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby simon_newbie » 09 Sep 2008 14:28

I need to know if Windows can be fully functioned. In case in the future I install something that crash the computer again, I know Windows system restore is an available option to fix it.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”