Send commands to RC interface from another PC?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Skootles
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Send commands to RC interface from another PC?

Postby Skootles » 28 Jun 2008 05:06

So when I have the RC interface enabled, I can obviously type in commands from that computer in the box that pops up, however, I want to be able to send commands from another PC on my network. How can I do this? I tried:
To be able to remote connect to your VLC using a TCP socket (telnet-like connexion), use --rc-host your_host:port. Then, by connecting (using telnet or netcat) to the host on the given port, you will get the command shell.
but Telnet never connects to it.

Also, for some reason, the play command doesn't work. If I use the stop command, I can't get my playlist going again.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Send commands to RC interface from another PC?

Postby VLC_help » 28 Jun 2008 16:46

If you didn't start interface with loopback host then maybe firewall prevents traffic?

Skootles
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Skootles » 28 Jun 2008 20:19

Nope, tried firewall settings and all, even when I try to Telnet from the computer to itself, it still won't work.

For the record, I start VLC using the run command:

"C:\Program Files\Videolan\VLC\VLC.exe" -I rc --rc-host 192.168.0.105:4040

where 192.168.0.105 is the IP of the computer running VLC and 4040 is just a port I'm trying to use.

Skootles
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Skootles » 28 Jun 2008 21:44

Alright rather than fumble around with RC or Telnet, I found a simple way to enter commands via the web interface. Basically using url's like:

http://192.168.0.105/?control=pause

For example, that will pause the playlist. Substitute it with other commands lie play, stop, etc and you can control your playlist pretty well. The only problem I'm having is figuring out what controls the volume.. I've tried so many different keywords, even tried looking at the source code to try to find it, but I can't get it.. any help here?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 29 Jun 2008 16:30

http://www.videolan.org/doc/play-howto/en/apb.html
this mentions
Local variables: You can dynamically create new variables and changes their values. Some local variables are predefined:

Code: Select all

volume : current volume setting

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”