writing file to hard drive for progressive downlaoding

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
jingke2000
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

writing file to hard drive for progressive downlaoding

Postby jingke2000 » 19 Jun 2008 05:36

Hi There,

Here's what I've been trying to do but failed: capture live broadcast from a remote network camera to a mp4 file and play it back from a mobile device at the same time. The targeted mobile device would only play remote video by progressive downloading. I want to start the progressive downloading from the mobile device at soon as when the VLC starts capturing the live broadcast from the camera. However, it didn't play at all. When I tried to play it from VLC player on another PC, it complained the file was empty. It would only work after the capturing stopped and the file was closed. Does anyone know about a way to resolve this issue?

Thanks!

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: writing file to hard drive for progressive downlaoding

Postby VLC_help » 19 Jun 2008 23:46

Streaming isn't option (== you must have a MP4 file)?

jingke2000
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jingke2000 » 20 Jun 2008 05:26

Yes, the targeted client supports progressive download only. I'll need to capture the live stream from a network camera and wrap the streams in MP4 file for HTTP download. What I want is to emulate the streaming experience, i.e., starting the download while writing to the MP4 file. Unfortunately, I found out from VLC feature list that MP4 is not supported with HTTP protocol, only captured to file. I'm using VLC 0.8.6 c. Would newer version 0.9.0 add the support?

Thanks!

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 20 Jun 2008 17:22

http://nightlies.videolan.org/ have the latest ones if you want to try. Building real time (streamable) MP4 files is AFAIK little difficult because moov atom should be at the start of the file, but it cannot be put there before whole file is completed.

jingke2000
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jingke2000 » 20 Jun 2008 21:31

That's what I'm afraid of unfortunately. I'll try the new version anyway. Thanks for all the information.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”