cannot delete a transcoded file

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Joe33345
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

cannot delete a transcoded file

Postby Joe33345 » 19 Jun 2008 16:01

I have a wierd problem thats pretty straight forward. whenever I transcode a file using VLC, like if I took a file and transcoded the movie video to h264 and audio to mp3, i cannot delete the file that comes out of VLC Media Player. I get the usual Windows Error Message saying the file is in use. so I tried uninstalling VLC then trying to delete the files and no dice. any ideas?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: cannot delete a transcoded file

Postby VLC_help » 19 Jun 2008 23:38

You are using Vista? If so, you have tried to remove those file with admin rights? If not Vista, have you tried restarting or using tool called unlocker (which can also detect which process is locking the file)?

MetalheadGautham
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 0.9 series
Operating System: ArchLinux i686

Postby MetalheadGautham » 20 Jun 2008 00:59

Uninstalling VLC won't help. This is a common, VERY common bug in Windows. It has something to do with the OS still thinking that your file is being edited. So its not VLC's fault. What I ended up doing was restarting windows. Then I ditched windows itself. 8) But I doubt you can do that :lol: so stick with restarting. :P
Visit: VLC and Other alternatives to Popular Media Players
On Linux, blindly use VLC, SMPlayer, Kaffeine, GXine, Totem and MPlayer
PM requests to attend to problems will not be entertained
Please post your question in the RIGHT forum.
SEARCH before posting to see if your question's been already answered

Joe33345
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Joe33345 » 20 Jun 2008 01:26

nah I have XP and vista on a dual boot. I do all transcoding on XP so maybe if I went over to vista and tried to delete the files... they would delete >_>. and I already tried restarting my PC :P. ill try this and reply back soon

mghills
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mghills » 20 Jun 2008 05:13

Vista stikes again - Windows 7 has more surprises up its sleeve. All our 237 computers have been "upgraded" to XP Pro from Vista.
Back to topic....
Firstly do you have Windows Commander?
Assuming you have, locate the file within that and delete from there. Works every time.
There are some files, not just videos, that will display this "file in use" message as soon as you highlight it.
Usually these are large files that for some reason take initial selection as a command to open!
If you don't have Windows Commander then get it ASAP.

Hint: on Windows Commander set your Preferences to "show hidden files (for experts only)" and you'll be pleasantly surprised what you will find.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”