The Big "VLC crashes/hangs up/dies" thread

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Three Man
New Cone
New Cone

The Big "VLC crashes/hangs up/dies" thread

Postby Three Man » 24 May 2008 21:52

Hey

Vlc crashes is'nt uncommon, too bad there's not a lot of gathered info in one spot. So lets put all the eggs in one basket, collect all the info here in the forum into one thread that's easily browsed.

Ok I got a problem with vlc crashing, it seems to occur mostly when files are opened. I have tried with deleting the appdata with little improvement.

VLC version: 0.8.6.* (I've tried with various versions)

I'll upload logs and see if someone can make any sense of it.

http://pastebin.com/m59c81b2c - vlc log
http://pastebin.com/d5d9303d3 - OS crash data

In this one I opened an .m3u file with incorrect filenames, vlc tries to play a couple of files until the crash occurs. (Note, the logging continues after the crash occured)

Big thanks for all replies, vlc is the best media player, ever, and I really want it to work.
Last edited by Three Man on 04 Sep 2008 17:27, edited 1 time in total.

Three Man
New Cone
New Cone

Re: The Big "VLC crashes/hangs up/dies" thread

Postby Three Man » 26 May 2008 17:54

error signature:

AppName: vlc.exe
AppVer: 0.8.6.0
ModName: unknown
ModVer: 0.0.0.0
Offset: 6c495f74

also libwxwidgets_plugin.dll has come up in ModName... do you think it might be that .dll file that's causing vlc to crash?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 27 May 2008 18:00

libwxwidgets_plugin.dll is the default GUI module for 0.8.6 series. You can change default GUI from VLC settings and see if that makes any differences. Forthcoming 0.9.0 doesn't use libwxwidgets anymore.

Three Man
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Three Man » 27 May 2008 23:17

libwxwidgets_plugin.dll is the default GUI module for 0.8.6 series. You can change default GUI from VLC settings and see if that makes any differences. Forthcoming 0.9.0 doesn't use libwxwidgets anymore.
Thanks for your reply, I think we could assume that it's the GUI that's causing VLC to crash. I switched to "skin2" that came along with he install and get this error signature:

AppName: vlc.exe
AppVer: 0.8.6.0
ModName: libskins2_plugin.dll
ModVer: 0.0.0.0
Offset: 000c2610

I'll try other skins and see if that will help.

Three Man
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Three Man » 28 May 2008 23:14

It must be the GUI that was the root of the problem. I tested using Askin and everything works fine. Problem Solved! 8)

rmatos
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rmatos » 29 May 2008 02:56

Hi!

I'm trying to use VLC 0.8.6 on WinXP SP2 to continuously play a certain playlist with small (18 to 30 seconds) MPG2 files and AVI (DV and Xvid) files and it's crashing a lot.
Some times, when reading avi files, it hangs the video playing and gets back on the next clip.
Some times it crashes but continues to play (even if with some hiccups) if I don't dismiss the Windows crash dialogue.
The whole system has just been installed.
I can't figure out if the problem is from VLC or from XP, or even from the PC.
Any ideas?

btw, I also can't save the changes I make in the order of the files in my playlist when I use "Playlist » Manage » Save Playlist...". The saved file will maintain the original order...

Thanks

rmatos
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rmatos » 29 May 2008 03:00

I would post a crash info but it has more then 60000 characters...

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Postby Arite » 29 May 2008 03:06

Place the relevant VLC log/messages (i.e. no need for a lot of repeated error messages) output in the <code></code> BBCode tag (replace "<" and ">" with "[" and "]" respectively).

Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

s3rg3
New Cone
New Cone

Postby s3rg3 » 05 Jun 2008 11:19

Hi,
I've the same kind of problem with VLC, it crash sometimes after couple of hour, sometimes imediately (MPEG2/MPEG-TS). But something strange as you said, the video continues playing while I don't close windows crash dialogue. I've tested a lot of different configuration, without any success... In my log,nothing particular, only some warnings on skipped frames...
In my mind, the problem doesnt' come from the PC (same problem on various PC)...
What I've seen is that if I deactivate deinterlacement, VLC works longer without any crash (but I NEED deinterlacement).

My question is : how the video can continue playing when VLC crash (until the Windows crash popup is closed)? Maybe this information can give us a way to understand the cause of the crash?
Other programs show the same behavior. Some programs for example play the song to the end with crash dialog but stop after that (maybe something to do with threads).
Hi!

I'm trying to use VLC 0.8.6 on WinXP SP2 to continuously play a certain playlist with small (18 to 30 seconds) MPG2 files and AVI (DV and Xvid) files and it's crashing a lot.
Some times, when reading avi files, it hangs the video playing and gets back on the next clip.
Some times it crashes but continues to play (even if with some hiccups) if I don't dismiss the Windows crash dialogue.
The whole system has just been installed.
I can't figure out if the problem is from VLC or from XP, or even from the PC.
Any ideas?

btw, I also can't save the changes I make in the order of the files in my playlist when I use "Playlist » Manage » Save Playlist...". The saved file will maintain the original order...

Thanks

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 05 Jun 2008 18:00

s3rg3: I accidentally hit edit button above your message first, so check that I didn't remove anything important from it.
My question is : how the video can continue playing when VLC crash (until the Windows crash popup is closed)? Maybe this information can give us a way to understand the cause of the crash?
Other Windows programs show the same behavior. Some programs for example play the song to the end with crash dialog but stop after that (maybe something to do with threads).

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”