Unable to join/see multicast stream

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
nosegoblin
New Cone
New Cone

Unable to join/see multicast stream

Postby nosegoblin » 28 Feb 2008 08:28

I have recently came up with a situation where I'm unable to join/see multcast streams with VLC in windows XP (SP2). At least I do not remember doing any changes to the system when this happened. Suddenly I just were unable to see the streams anymore. By viewing the Stream and Media Info I can only see 0 / 0kB / 0kB/s in every column. When capturing traffic with wireshark I'm able to capture the streams with the same pc and also by changing another pc to the same network interface in the switch the stream can be joined normally.

Here is what I have tried so far:
- reset all VLC settings to defauls
- Install older version of the VLC player (0.8.4)
- Uninstall the player, clear all registry entries from vlc and videolan and then reinstall the 0.8.6d
- Verified that firewall etc settings don't affect this issue (we have multiple computers here with similar settings)

I can give further info if one just tells what to more info is needed about the situation. Does anybody have any suggestions?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Unable to join/see multicast stream

Postby VLC_help » 28 Feb 2008 21:03

Have you tried nightly builds?
http://nightlies.videolan.org/

nosegoblin
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nosegoblin » 29 Feb 2008 20:38

Unfortunately the nightly build didn't have any effect. I tried to install the latest one (vlc-0.9.0-svn-20080228-0000-win32.exe) but the receiving of multicast just keeps failing. Local video can be played without problems. Does anybody know any other free and simple multicast capable player? I would just like to test whether the problem is indeed in VLC or in my PC in general. :?

Teta
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 0.8.6c
Operating System: Windows

Postby Teta » 18 Apr 2008 16:45

Hi,

Did you ever find out what the problem was?
I have an issue with DELL Latitude D420 laptops where I am unable to receive multicast UDP streams.
I have them set up identically as the DELL Latitude D820 laptops that I have on the same network and these work perfectly.

I have tried the latest NIC drivers and all other usual suspects, but nothing helped.

Really strange.

Teta

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”