Using VLC as a all round Media Player

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
bmorgan
New Cone
New Cone

Using VLC as a all round Media Player

Postby bmorgan » 22 Feb 2007 12:05

Hi all, just got a new computer with Vista and joined because i intend to use VLC as my default for all media files, because with my old XP i had winamp to play music, VLC for downloaded films/videos, Power DVD for DVD's and then media player once in a while. Now i just want one all round media player, and want VLC partly because nothing plays through WMP!!

Is it possible to set VLC like WMP in the taskbar where it shows small buttons of Play-Pause-Next Track-Previous Track. Or have it dissapear into the system tray so that when i'm doing other things on the computer but have music playing its not showing on the taskbar - abit like you can with winamp?

Also have read one or two things about a media library, this would be the icing on the cake for using VLC so whens this coming in?

Also how do i set all video/music files to be played with VLC as default?

Thanks for any help

Ben

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 22 Feb 2007 21:51

Well, VLC isn’t quite ready for Vista just yet (probably version 0.9.0 will be). This upcoming version of VLC will have the “Media library” as-well.

I don’t think that you can minimize the controls to the taskbar (interesting idea though), but you can have it minimize to the system tray by going to: Preferences > Interface > Main interfaces > wxWidgets (“Skins” if you’re using the skins mode), and check the box for “System icon”.

To set VLC as you’re default player you’ll have to reinstall it. During installation, there is a part of it where you can choose which plug-ins to install with VLC, scroll down in that menu and check the box that associates VLC with all you’re media files (Keep in mind that all you’re media file will now have a cone as an icon once you do this).

I hope this answers some of you’re questions.

bmorgan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bmorgan » 23 Feb 2007 12:56

Nice one! thanks for the help.

Media Player is the only program i think that has the added feature in the taskbar, was a long shot but would be cool if they could add it into VLC and it would help it to become a better audio player. For now though is there a way to have it always on top of other applications?

When i re-install VLC and select all media files to be played with it, will it be possible to right click an album folder and select "Play with VLC" like you can where it says "Play with Media Player"

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 23 Feb 2007 17:47

To make VLC video window “always on top” go to: Preferences > Video, and under “General video settings” check the “Always on top” box.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that during the installation, in that same menu where you can choose the plug-ins, you can also add “Context menus” to select the media file to be played with the right-click of the mouse.

If you want, you could drag-and-drop the entire folder into the playlist and it will load all media files contained in it.

yorn
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Using VLC as a all round Media Player

Postby yorn » 15 Feb 2008 22:25

I too would like VLC to be my default app for media.
I have two systems, both exactly the same hardware configuration, but one runs Vista Business x86 and one runs Vista Business 64 bit.
Now when I insert a video DVD, the x86 version gives me the option to view it with VLC, the 64 bit version doesn't.
I don't know if it's the difference in architecture of the OS (processor is 64 bit in both cases), but how can I make it clear to Vista that I want VLC to run my DVD's instead of Windows Media Player (which will just tell me it can't view the DVD anyway)

n3twork
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Using VLC as a all round Media Player

Postby n3twork » 25 Feb 2008 22:02

Re-install and install context menus I believe that will resolve your issue if it doesn't you may want to see if you have auto- run enabled on the DVD-ROM (could be set to Windows Media Player specifically for DVD's) you should have the option of setting it to let me choose or VLC.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”