Strange problem with stuttering (getting desperate)

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Ftmch
New Cone
New Cone

Strange problem with stuttering (getting desperate)

Postby Ftmch » 23 Feb 2008 23:07

Well, a couple of weeks ago I had some problems with a new microphone, so I tried to reinstall my drivers etc. and mucked around in the registry, I also tried to reinstall DirectX (I think) and installed some AC'97 drivers by accident which I later removed (not sure it went smooth).

And now to the problem, after that day I'm experiencing extreme audio stuttering (video is fine) when playing movies, what type of file doesn't matter, it's the same with everything I've tried, the strange part is that the problem isn't there when I play the same file with Windows Media Player 10, only with VLC, also, I experience stuttering in alot of games aswell, but here it gets even trickier, mostly it's just SOME of the sound that stutters, for instance, in some game only the music and ambience stutters, and in others only the regular sound-effects.

Basicly, VLC and the games uses something or some way to play sounds which Windows Media Player doesn't, the sound is okay in Winamp too, although there's a low static sound in the background which isn't there when I play the same file in windows media player.

Here's a list of games/applications that I have the problem in.
VLC Media Player (all audio stutters)
Hitman: Blood money (Voices, music and ambience stutters)
Kane & Lynch (Voices, music and ambience stutters, and other effects seem muffled)
Bioshock (Voices stutters)
TES: Oblivion (Music stutters)
IL2-Sturmovik (Effects stutters)

Games and applications which don't seem to be affected:
Windows Media Player
Call of Duty 4
Red Orchestra
Half-life 2 (and mods for it)
Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines
Crysis
World in Conflict

Things I've tried to fix it:
Reinstalled Soundcard-drivers (I've also gotten a new soundcard, uninstalled the old one, deactivating it in the BIOS etc. it was an integrated one)
Installed latest DirectX-version
Uninstalled codecs and installing the K-lite codec pack (maybe there's some codec that doesn't show in add/remove programs and can't be uninstalled or something? I've tried disabling all the audio codecs in the device manager, but to no avail)

If you want me to post a DxDiag log or similar, I can do that :)

I know you might think this is the wrong forum etc. but well, it's related to VLC, otherwise, can you forward me to a good place to find the answers? can't seem to find any decent forums to ask this on, I've asked the same thing on two different places:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardwar ... ost1336481
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index ... 07576&st=0

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Strange problem with stuttering (getting desperate)

Postby VLC_help » 24 Feb 2008 14:32

For VLC, have you tried Waveout or portaudio output modules?

Ftmch
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Ftmch » 24 Feb 2008 15:11

I'm not sure, how exactly do I do that? (I don't know alot about VLC)

Trax
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Trax » 24 Feb 2008 21:15

From Windows: Start, Programs, VideoLAN, Quick Settings, Audio, Set Audio mode to Waveout
From GUI: Settings, Preferences, Audio, Output modules, Advanced options -> enable, Output module -> Win32 Waveout. Save, Close and Restart VLC.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”