want to set up Video on Demand

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
tarnation
New Cone
New Cone

want to set up Video on Demand

Postby tarnation » 13 May 2007 20:14

Hey,
I'm new to the forums. I want to set up a home video on demand system, but I get slightly lost on the instructions in the documentation. The computer I will be using as the server has windows XP SP2 installed, and so do the client PC's. So if anyone could walk me through a little bit on how to at least begin to set it up (I can figure out a lot myself), I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 14 May 2007 01:53

Beside the Wiki, here are a few things to look at. Of coarse this depends to some degree on the source that you intend using.

http://anuragworld.googlepages.com/remotetv
RemoteTV using VLC

viewtopic.php?t=21078
Remote TV tuning

viewtopic.php?t=28447
Free PVR and support for VLC

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=JTVLAN
DVB T streaming solution

viewtopic.php?t=8331&start=15
Possible VoD solution

tarnation
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tarnation » 16 May 2007 23:24

Thank You very much, all of those links helped greatly, and I see you stickied this, so I hope it can help others too.

nahallacman
New Cone
New Cone

Re: want to set up Video on Demand

Postby nahallacman » 03 Nov 2007 00:22

A solution I found that may work for some people. Simply get a VNC program (I recommend UltraVNC) and use it to remotely access your computer. Once you remotely access your computer then set VLC player to stream to your current location then set VLC to recieve that file. Simple and Effective.

Corrupt_Data
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Corrupt_Data » 05 Nov 2007 10:25

A bit late for the original poster, but this might help future users...

Just enable the HTTP interface. VNC is cumbersome for a VOD solution.

-Corrupt

CobrA_4cS
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby CobrA_4cS » 20 Nov 2007 14:16

A solution I found that may work for some people. Simply get a VNC program (I recommend UltraVNC) and use it to remotely access your computer. Once you remotely access your computer then set VLC player to stream to your current location then set VLC to recieve that file. Simple and Effective.
Very good :X i've tried it and it works :d
[size=0]Image[/size]

turnstyle
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby turnstyle » 29 Jan 2008 16:51

set VLC player to stream to your current location then set VLC to recieve that file
I'm also trying to play a DVD (in 'PC1') over my LAN to another PC that doesn't have a DVD drive ('PC2').

Can you perhaps give more tips on how I would put a DVD into PC1 and then set VLC on PC1 to stream that -- and then, from PC2, how to tell VLC to play the stream from PC1?

Is the "stream" something that I can pause and shuttle around? Or does it play beginning to end? ie, can I control the stream from PC2, or must I control it from PC1?

Thanks! -Scott

jimmyo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jimmyo » 03 Feb 2008 22:08

I've used the instructions and links above to set up a web-based video-on-demand server. To set up the server, I have modified the http/html code to simplify the interface. I've also incorporated an "off the shelf" embedded chat room so that viewers can chat during the movie.

I'd like to test it with several different users at once accessing a movie from the internet - would anyone be open to volunteering?

I'm not familiar with open-source rules nor the rules of this forum, but specifically I would like to do the following:
- on this forum, post a web address and start time for a movie
- request that volunteers from this forum go to that address at the stated time to watch the movie
- chat on the embedded chat room while the movie plays, giving input on their location, the quality of the video, etc

Thanks a lot for any feedback as to whether there might be any volunteers.

...Jim

dynamitemedia
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby dynamitemedia » 14 Feb 2008 03:55

sure PM me when and i will try and help you out

dorfd1
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby dorfd1 » 14 Jul 2008 03:21

I can't get audio or video when I try to locally play my wintv hvr 950 usb stick. I can't get audio or video when streaming the wintv hvr 950 usb stick. But I do get video when I stream the WINTV Radio PCI board.

A list of compatible acquisition devices would be helpful.

Jamesd
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Jamesd » 23 Oct 2008 06:51

Hello
I am also new to the forums. I have western digital network drive which I store my movies etc on. The notebooks in the house view these movies through my wireless network. Is there a way to install VLC on the network drive to allow better streaming of video to the notebooks? Currently, the streaming is okay, a bit jittery, but I am confident it could be better if one program sent the other program the file. As I am new to all this, I do not understand the capabilities of the program. A friend recommended I try it and so far, I am pleased, but I cannot help feeling that it could be better.

Music Lover
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Music Lover » 02 Dec 2008 10:09

Some useful information there. I'll be doing the same at some point, I think the best solution is to have your server running Linux because thats the most stable OS over long periods of runtime. Then I'll make sure my LAN has good wireless capabilities so that I can stream video over it to my laptop :D

Music Lover
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Music Lover » 11 Dec 2008 11:30

You will have to set it up using some third part software and then add that to VLC, Also check on wiki pedia you will find good stuff.

patch
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby patch » 14 Dec 2008 00:51

Hello
I have western digital network drive which I store my movies etc on. The notebooks in the house view these movies through my wireless network. ... Currently, the streaming is okay, a bit jittery....
The data rate required by video is relatively low by local network standards. But the local processing requirement is high, especially for higher definition video.

Is is still jittery when watching movies from a local hard disk rather than a network drive?
How good is your wireless connection / data rate & how many wireless devices are operating concurrently (bandwidth is shared by all wireless devices).
What is performance like if you hard wire a note book?

IMO
Streaming software is unlikely to increase network data transfer efficiency. The most it could do is optimise packet & buffer size?

patelbhavin2426
New Cone
New Cone

Postby patelbhavin2426 » 17 Aug 2009 20:26

hi Anurag,

I want to implement something so, that one user can stream the data to other users in network.

But the one who is doing transmission can control the streaming.

I think ,

I can use your source code to do that.

Can you make it public for use ??

Thanks,
Bhavin.

JamesGuthrie
New Cone
New Cone

Postby JamesGuthrie » 21 Oct 2009 23:48

Hi there,

I see there's already been some development in this direction, but I'm not sure if anyone's put together a package like the one I have here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=66517. Currently the last post is the one with the .zip file attached to it.

What it contains is a php interface for file browsing, and adding files to an rtsp server using VLM. Essentially, hands-free video streaming. Naturally it's windows-based (hence me using this subforum).

It's still in very early development stages, so I'd appreciate as much feedback as I could possibly get to better my implementation, as well as to cater for other features which I haven't yet thought of.

I do have some planned changes to the php, but I'm just waiting until the weekend to get it done.

James

garlantinapple
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: windows
Operating System: windows

Postby garlantinapple » 24 Jul 2010 12:46

I would greatly appreciate it.

hasanbd20
New Cone
New Cone

Postby hasanbd20 » 02 Aug 2010 17:59

A bit late for the original poster, but this might help future users...

Just enable the HTTP interface. VNC is cumbersome for a VOD solution.

-Corrupt
Nice

genmei888
New Cone
New Cone

Postby genmei888 » 30 Dec 2010 03:07

Thank You very much, all of those links helped greatly, and I see you stickied this, so I hope it can help others too.great!

Animedude5555
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Animedude5555 » 27 Mar 2011 10:36

I am also interested in using VoD but when I go and use the menu (NOT THE COMMAND LINE as I'm NOT INTERESTED in command line solutions) to set up VoD and all seems to be going fine (I set up RTSP port 5544 name "test") on the server instance of VLC. Then using a second instance of VLC player I try connecting using file,open network stream, and then using this URL rtsp://127.0.0.1:5544/test but it DOES NOT WORK! What am I doing wrong. I thought I converted all of those command line tutorials succsesfully to my knowledge of the VLC menus and set it up in the menu the same way the tutorial would have me set it up in the command line, but it didn't work, and I'm not about to set it up via command line. I hate command line based software, and when I have a graphical program, I feel no need at all to treat it as if only the command line can be used, when obviously the menus in this case give me just as much flexibility. So the question is what have I done wrong, and how can I fix it. And now before any of you helpers out there give me instructions on how to do it via command line, I'm telling you I do not want to know. I want you to help me do it via the VLC player's menus. please provide something that no VLC tutorial has yet provided me, help on how to set up and use VoD, and receive VoD, entirely using VLC Player's menus.

Kannitry
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Kannitry » 13 May 2011 04:38

although poster above me, was not asking nicely..

I kinda seem to have same issue

let me explain my situation:

I have home network server (normal PC actually) that I wanna run as multimedia center, so several other PC,s within the home network can access the media on the pc.
How ever, due I dont want direct access to the harddrive, I want to set up a VOD server, pref. using VLC.

I've been using VLC for long time as default media player, and just got used to it.
How ever.. I'm not the best or most knowledged computer guy around, but can understand bit above the most users.
Anyhow... here is my problem.

from my knowledge, VOD means Video on Demand...(duh), meaning I should be able to access the server (using vlc client on different computer) and select wich file I wanna watch/listen to.
but I dont seem to get this done.

I am able to stream a single file(movie as I tried) and watch it on a different computer, but I can not controll it, nor can I select a different file
with other words.. I get it how to stream, but I dont get VoD working it seems.

all documention seems to be for versions 0.x.x, but none for 1.1.x

all I find is on forums stuff with command lines and telnet stuff, wich I dont get my way around, nor understand.

Like poster above me.. it seems all to be possiable to be done via just starting VLC, go into prefferences etc etc. but either I dont get it.. or it doesnt seem to work or I forget something.

So here by my question.

Could somebody be so kind, to walk me trough every single step what to do
prefferbly with sidenote's / explantions what it actually means what I'm doing

asumming configuration note's:
server side IP: 192.168.0.100
client side ip: 192.168.0.101 / 110
port: 5544

files: movie1.avi / movie2.avi / movie3.avi / music1.mp3 / etc etc
files are on HDD of the server pc, can be moved if needed.

software running:
server pc: win vista 64bit
client pc's: (2x) win vista64bit (1x) win 7 (1x) win xp

Also, if possiable to stream outside LAN, feel free to tell me if any different settings need to be done
(have full access to NAT settings in router/modem, and familliar with how to open ports / re-direct specific port calls to specific pc)

in advaced thnx for reply/explanation if anyone understands / can be bothered to explain
regards
Chris

chakik
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: Windows/Linux

Postby chakik » 01 Oct 2011 22:34

Hello,

I want also to setup a video on demand system and I'm facing this same problem:

I can't get audio or video when I try to locally play my wintv hvr 950 usb stick. I can't get audio or video when streaming the wintv hvr 950 usb stick. But I do get video when I stream the WINTV Radio PCI board.

A list of compatible acquisition devices would be helpful.
I tried the suggestions in the replies above but still having problems. Please "dorfd1" if you did find a solution, just let me know. Thank you very much.

-Fadi

danielletowner
New Cone
New Cone

Postby danielletowner » 06 Oct 2011 21:25

I was having the same issue, thanks for the insight.

sschevy010
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sschevy010 » 17 Nov 2011 02:25

I don't understand what I am missing to this, I am trying to setup a VoD on PC1 and so that PC2 can just be getting the feed over internet anywhere. Trouble is I can't get it to do anything but add movies.. I tried HTTP and RTSP so I need some help for which I can't find any answers to problem and most links are just leading no where even the VLC Wiki which was short and was not enough information. So if anyone can help which would be great! Thank you!

reddoe88
New Cone
New Cone

Postby reddoe88 » 14 Feb 2012 06:04

same issue here, anyone has a definite answer for this yet? :(

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”