Simple way to play a DVD over my LAN?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
turnstyle
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Simple way to play a DVD over my LAN?

Postby turnstyle » 29 Jan 2008 14:37

Hi all,

I have a "slim" laptop that doesn't have a DVD drive, but I'd like to be able to play DVDs (without use of a USB drive).

I had been hoping that I could simply put the DVD into the DVD drive on another PC on the LAN, and then share that drive, and play it from there -- but I now gather that isn't really possible?

On the other hand, the new Mac Air seems to be able to do just that (see Remote Disc).

So, my preference is to do something like Remote Disc, but over a Windows network -- but if that's not possible, what's the next best (simple) way to do it?

The only thing I have working is if I first rip the DVD -- but that's a lot to do each time I want to play one. (and I don't see much need in keeping copies of the DVDs)

MANY THANKS! -Scott

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Simple way to play a DVD over my LAN?

Postby VLC_help » 30 Jan 2008 19:02

Remote Disc doesn't support commercial DVD either =) AnyDVD and sharing DVD drive might work. I haven't tested it.

turnstyle
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby turnstyle » 30 Jan 2008 21:02

I downloaded AnyDVD onto the PC with the DVD drive, but that didn't seem to help.

I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to do in AnyDVD -- is the idea that I just install it, and it automatically makes a protected DVD behave as an unprotected DVD?

Should I do anything more?

If you have a sec to try, I'd love to hear how it goes -- I just want to be able to play my DVD over my home network in a simple way, I appreciate your help!

-Scott

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 31 Jan 2008 17:44

is the idea that I just install it, and it automatically makes a protected DVD behave as an unprotected DVD?
Yes.

After that share DVD drive to network and on playback computer mount it to system (aka assign drive letter for it). Then File -> Open Disc... and to Device name change the letter of network shared file.

turnstyle
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby turnstyle » 31 Jan 2008 18:07

I haven't had luck with this yet -- if you (or anybody else here) has a chance to give it a try, I'd love to hear what happens. All you need is 2 PCs on a local network, and then:

1) on PC-1 (with an optical drive and AnyDVD installed), insert a regular protected DVD

2) set the DVD drive as a network share

3) on PC-2, map the share to a drive letter, and use your DVD player app to play from that mapped drive.

With more devices like the Mac Air and similar PC-based portables, it's very useful to simply be able to play a DVD over the network (without having to first rip the whole DVD to the hard drive).

Thanks again for the comments! -Scott

turnstyle
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby turnstyle » 01 Feb 2008 16:06

I retract my previous post -- it seems AnyDVD did do the trick, thanks again for the tip.

I then went to pay for my copy, but it also turned out that AnyDVD is rather expensive from the US (it's priced at $49 Euros, which comes out to about $75 US).

I then discovered DVD43 which also seems to do the same trick -- it doesn't seem quite as nice as AnyDVD, but it is free (as in beer -- btw, I'm not at all against paying for software, but $75 seems like a lot to me).

So, I'll see how DVD43 does, and I can switch over to AnyDVD if I need to.

Thanks again! -Scott

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”