Cannot use slider in MP4 files

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Namrepus221
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Cannot use slider in MP4 files

Postby Namrepus221 » 08 Jan 2008 18:16

ok if I have a 2 hour MP4 file (A movie. Legally obtained I assure you), if I try to move my slider to a point in the film (the funniest part). it simply jumps to the area I selected, freezes whatever was on the screen whenever I moved the slider, no audio plays, and the counter for the time continues playing as if the file was perfectly playing.

The only way I can move to parts of videos is if I use x8 speed directly from the beginning and hope to god I don't forget about it or else I have to start the whole movie over again cause the slider won't allow me to go back lest I get the frozen screen, no audio, moving timer thing again.

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Re: Cannot use slider in MP4 files

Postby Arite » 08 Jan 2008 20:28

Try fixing the *.mp4 using a tool such as mp4UI. Create a new MP4 file and then import the tracks from the broken one, ensuring that "Make ISMA complient (after adding track)" is selected before doing so. Then try the newly create *.mp4 in VLC.

If that doesn't help then you could remux the tracks into the Matroska container format (*.mkv) instead using mkvmerge GUI (use drag and drop etc. then mux to an *.mkv file) which is a part of mkvtoolnix.

If that still makes no difference then what are the video/audio codecs used in the *.mp4 file (in VLC press "Ctrl+I" and click on the "Advanced information" tab).

Cheers, Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Namrepus221
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Namrepus221 » 08 Jan 2008 23:07

The MP4 isn't broken as far as I know.

It plays perfectly in Quicktime, the slider and everything works well.

I'll try "fixing" it. but I dunno if it will help.

Thanks

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Postby Arite » 08 Jan 2008 23:15

It may not be "broken" as such, but may not, for example, be ISMA complient (not sure whether it will make any difference, but it worth a try). If not then muxing the file into an *.mkv should fix it.

Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”