MKV crash Reason unkown

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Sonevar
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

MKV crash Reason unkown

Postby Sonevar » 30 Sep 2007 14:01

I've been running MKV files with VLC with no problems for weeks now, today I opened and watched an MKV, I closed it near the end of the file (closing credits) as normal, I activated mIRC and worked with that application for a few minutes beginning an avi file download, I switched windows to open the next mkv in the series I was watching, vlc opened and displayed the file title and runtime on the status bar as usual but no video or audio, the audio and video menus were both empty. I closed the file nd tried the previous one I had just watched, same problem, I tried other MKVs from other sources I had previously watched, still same problem, I tried other formats, avi, mpeg, and mp4 ran without error as before. I tried rebooting, no change except windows now reported that vlc had crashed and shut it down each time I opened an mkv, I tried uninstalling/reinstalling vlc (deleted cache and settings too) no change, I system restored to 2 days ago, no change. I can't understand what happened there was no change to the operation of my computer from the time vlc played the file I had watched and the time it stoped working (I had and still have the most current version of vlc for windows) I tried installing a different player and the mkvs ran fine.

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
Nvidia GeForce 7350 (current drivers installed 2.5 days ago)

Sonevar
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: MKV crash Reason unkown

Postby Sonevar » 03 Oct 2007 01:54

I ran RegCure registry cleaner... It works again... go figure...

Sonevar
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: MKV crash Reason unkown

Postby Sonevar » 15 Oct 2007 11:58

After Watching an mpeg this time it began to refuse playing MKVs, I ran the registry cleaner again and this time it failed to get mkvs working... I'm totally confused

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”