Pause doesn't response immediately

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 29 May 2007 19:16

You may be waiting a very long time because at present there are only 2 chipsets that are giving users trouble and drivers do resolve the issues.

Alternately you could use the older method of addressing the audio card. I Preferences, Audio, Output modules choose "Win32 waveOut extensions output from the pull down and then press Save and close the player.

Vince_Ong
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Vince_Ong » 31 May 2007 07:04

Under the "Win32 waveOut extension output", it only has one tick box. One can either tick or untick the "Use float32 output" box. Either way, the problem still remains.

MetalheadGautham
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 0.9 series
Operating System: ArchLinux i686

Postby MetalheadGautham » 31 May 2007 08:51

and even I have noticed a delay of abt 1 or 0.5 or 0.4 or 0.3 second on pressing spacebar.
Visit: VLC and Other alternatives to Popular Media Players
On Linux, blindly use VLC, SMPlayer, Kaffeine, GXine, Totem and MPlayer
PM requests to attend to problems will not be entertained
Please post your question in the RIGHT forum.
SEARCH before posting to see if your question's been already answered

MisterGman007
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MisterGman007 » 01 Jun 2007 03:47

You must be the most unlucky person I have ever run across. I have installed VLC on lots of machines and never seen the issue you describe, except where I have trouble with audio drivers which also shows up in other ways.
This is in response to this thread - I believe it is about either playback delay of video and/or audio - had a little difficulty following.

However, if this is "new" behavior not reported before, then add another unlucky bloke to the list.

I have a small 9MB WMV file that I have been using to learn the features of VLCMP. This observed behavior is empirical and compared to 2 other video players:

In VLCMP the video starts properly at the first frame. However, the audio doesn't start for about 2 seconds. It does not appear to be a synching issue - UNLESS- VLCMP needs time to coordinate the audio with the video because later in the video when a person starts speaking the speech matches the movement of the mouth.

On the same computer using Window Media Player v11 and Sonic Cineplayer (v1.51) the audio starts at the very beginning of the playback.

I installed the latest version of VLCMP on my wife's newer computer less than a year old and VLCMP behaved the same way.

Another observation from an entirely different system; When playing a DVD, one can see the first second or 2 of both the video and audio dropped. This missing segment is seen when playing with another video player.

I read mention of a buffer setting of which I found 3 or 4 in the configuration file and I increased their values with no different result. Not that I had much of a clue as to what those settings affected - they had numbers and the word 'audio'. But other than that I have not yet found the docs that cover the technical details of the config file settings.

Interesting again, Windows MP complained of an outdated driver on start-up on my wife's computer but still played the video AND audio flawlessly.

So if I am missing a setting that will compensate for this or adjust it, I would be glad to know as would one other "unlucky" person.

If not, then perhaps this is a behavior that has a chance of being corrected in a future release.

Unfortunately with this clip and other video content that I need to play the video and audio has no lead-in. They just jump from the start.

I'll stay tuned for other related feedback.

Thanks.

MisterGman007
New Cone
New Cone

Audio/Video Delay

Postby MisterGman007 » 01 Jun 2007 05:10

This is 3rd post tonight.

Problem was delayed audio after video started. For the benfit of others who have had similar problem:

1. deynchronization did "unclip" the audio but it was then out of synch with the video by the amount of desynch in ms (in this case 2000ms)

2. Plan 2. Went to "open file" dialog - increased the cache setting - in this case from 300 to 2000. Results = perfect.

Thanks.

Refer to my other 2 posts tonigh for other details if this is similar to what you are experiencing.

Thanks.

Vince_Ong
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Vince_Ong » 01 Jun 2007 06:11

My experience is the reverse. Using the default cache setting of 300 causes a delay of 5 secs. Changing it to zero makes no difference. However a cache setting of 5000 changes the delay to 9 secs.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 01 Jun 2007 10:20

If you have erased VLC's Preferences folder to go back to the defaults, the additional delay is somewhere in your system. The amount of memory to buffer 5 seconds of video would be outrageous for most formats and resolutions.

Vince_Ong
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Vince_Ong » 01 Jun 2007 13:02

Could you also address the reply that I posted on May 31, 5:04 am.

Thanks.

mmaker
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Pause doesn't response immediately

Postby mmaker » 05 Sep 2007 16:50

Hi.

Glad to see im not alone on this issue. Got the same problem. Pause stops after like 1-4 seconds or something, really annoying. Some other thing i have problem with is when i try to jump in the movie. It goes slow and get gfx error, but after some time i get to it.

It seems that this is affectad by how large the movie. However when i try the same movie in windows media player it works flawless. I can stop whenever i want and the movie stops instantly. Why im writing this is ofcourse that i like vlc better but at the moment i have to use media player because of this unfortunately.

Cheers.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”