VLC not reading .avi properly

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
AjP
New Cone
New Cone

VLC not reading .avi properly

Postby AjP » 02 Sep 2007 18:34

The Player I downloaded for windows cannot play .avi files properly. The picture is blurry and the colour is mismatched. There is too much contrast and one cannot differentiate between colours which are near each other like dark orange and red. I am playing a file from a DVD. Someone please help me out. It can help if you can tell me how to change the colour settings.
Thanks a lot!!!!! :D

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Re: VLC not reading .avi properly

Postby Arite » 02 Sep 2007 19:23

Could you post a snapshot of the video playing in VLC? ("Ctrl + Alt + S" - default save directory is in My Pictures). Also - is the problem you describe due to the video being of low quality/bad colours (so not VLC-specific), or is it just when VLC plays it?

If you want to change the contrast ratio etc. go to "Settings >> Extended GUI" (Ctrl-G), tick the "Image adjustment" box and then adjust the sliders accordingly.

EDIT: Sorry, wrong hotkey for taking a snapshot - fixed now.

Cheers, Arite.
Last edited by Arite on 04 Sep 2007 16:31, edited 1 time in total.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

dntknwhw2b
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: newest
Operating System: Win 7 SP1

Postby dntknwhw2b » 03 Sep 2007 14:26

I have some of the same problems. One video is all orange, the next is way too dark. I use the Extended GUI but have to mess with each video. Could the filters that I downloaded have become corrupt? I really don't know why the vids are not working right. I think a reinstall is needed.
dntknwhw2b // Don't Know How Too Be // It's still better than a wanna-be.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 03 Sep 2007 16:20

Try to disable overlay video output, if that helps the problem lies in your display adapter drivers (but you can use VLC without Overlay as well).

dntknwhw2b
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby dntknwhw2b » 04 Sep 2007 14:47

Question. What are display adapter drivers? And where do I find them?

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Arite » 04 Sep 2007 16:39

A Display Adaptor Driver is a driver for your Video Card (AKA: Display Adaptor). A Driver (full name "Device driver") is a piece of software which enables higher level programs/applications to interact with the computers hardware. The best place to find them is from your video card manufacturer's website - you probably have the drivers, but newer drivers may be available.

Do you have an on-board graphics card (i.e. embedded in your motherboard), or a separate "off-board" graphics card?

Arite.

dntknwhw2b
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby dntknwhw2b » 04 Sep 2007 20:15

I have 2 EVGA Getforce 7600 GT NVIDIA Integrated PCI Exp x16. I do not have the SLI turned on. I run my PC monitor with one and my 42" Olivia LCD TV.
The MOBO is a ASUS M2N_SLI Deluxe. As for now I am running Win XP Pro SP2. I will as per your suggestion go and check for new drivers.

Thanks for the help.

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Arite » 04 Sep 2007 22:13

OK - yes, you can get the NVIDIA drivers from there website - here is the Driver download page (select your graphics card etc.):
http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

The latest ForceWare release is 162.18 (at least for me - I have a single 7600 GT :)) which came out on 26/07/2007. Try updating them - might make some difference.

Cheers, Arite.

AjP
New Cone
New Cone

Postby AjP » 05 Sep 2007 09:58

Hey Artie
When i went to 'extended GUI' and pressed 'Image clone' it showed the perfect picture in another window. Its working fine with that. Thanks a lot!

scurvy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby scurvy » 18 Jan 2008 03:45

Hi all, I have the same issue with distorted avi files. I reset the default settings and disable the overlay with some success. The green wavy lines are gone but now the video appears 4 times left to right in the player. It's like the player is divided into 4 panes each playing the same video. I took a screenshot but it looks perfect. The avi's will play fine in Win Media Player but not in VLC.
Any thoughts?
One other thing, I use VLC on all five of my PC's and this is the only one giving me a hassle. Maybe video card? Still, if it works in WMP why not VLC?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 18 Jan 2008 21:18

You can also try to change video output module. Windows GDI should work.

scurvy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby scurvy » 18 Jan 2008 23:38

Thanks for that last bit VLChelp. That did the trick. Must be related to the video card somehow. It's onboard so maybe it's just not quite up to par.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”