Split second freeze between video clips on a playlist

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
indyshyguy
New Cone
New Cone

Split second freeze between video clips on a playlist

Postby indyshyguy » 01 May 2007 22:47

I have been using VLC as a video player with multiple video clips. Now I am looking at using it at work for a video "sign" type of display.

The one and only thing I cannot figure out is how to get VLC to begin playing the next clip immediately. It freezes on the last frame of the clip that was playing and pauses for about 10 frames. Then the next video begins to play.

I think I have looked around most of the menus and still cannot find a clear answer or solution to this problem. What is even stranger is that I have a logo over the video and that stays on the screen - no glitch.

I have been searching for a solution, not even sure what to look for on this forum. Any help would be Great :D . Thanks in advance for you suggestions.
Last edited by indyshyguy on 02 May 2007 14:49, edited 2 times in total.

MetalheadGautham
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 0.9 series
Operating System: ArchLinux i686

Postby MetalheadGautham » 02 May 2007 10:31

a solution for that :?: beats me... never heard of it myself... :?

:idea: try reinstalling vlc, try getting the latest version... hope it works
Visit: VLC and Other alternatives to Popular Media Players
On Linux, blindly use VLC, SMPlayer, Kaffeine, GXine, Totem and MPlayer
PM requests to attend to problems will not be entertained
Please post your question in the RIGHT forum.
SEARCH before posting to see if your question's been already answered

indyshyguy
New Cone
New Cone

Updated Install

Postby indyshyguy » 02 May 2007 14:43

I have installed the latest version hoping for a change, but this condition still exists. I have tried a couple of different video types and resolutions.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 02 May 2007 20:29

I'm not aware of any freezing at the end of a media file in any format. VLC loads all libraries, DirectX etc. at the beginning of each file and releases everything at the end. It is quite common (when changing formats) in a playlist that VLC will momentarily leave full screen and load the new file and then return to full screen. If there is no change in format or container (in Windows only) VLC does not leave full screen and playing split files it is difficult to determine where the break is.

Perhaps your logo has something to do with the action your experiencing???

indyshyguy
New Cone
New Cone

Freeze Frame

Postby indyshyguy » 02 May 2007 22:36

Thanks for the response.

I had not really noticed it until I had videos that begin and end without any frames of black. All of the videos I have are cut from the middle of other videos.

I am using MPEG-2 files, all the same size, source and bit-rate. This occurs with or without the logo filter and regardless of full screen mode.

I put two video in the playlist and begin playing. When the first video has completed there is a pause before the next video begins. This is the "freeze" point. The last frame of the first video just stops for about a 1/3 of a second before the next video begins.

I have tried different versions of VLC and different Windows machines and different OS versions. Still have that little pause. I am going to see about getting access to a MAC and test it on that platform.

This has not been an issue at any point but would like this in a business setting and the expression on someone's face, paused, can be less than complimentary.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 03 May 2007 12:37

When you are in full screen mode does the program go to a windowed mode at the change of file?

Another option is to assemble all your clips in an editor and make one file out of them.

indyshyguy
New Cone
New Cone

Full Screen Mode

Postby indyshyguy » 03 May 2007 15:25

Excellent question.

The program does not change modes during clips. If it is in full screen mode it will stay in full screen mode between clips. This is only true if the both clips are of the exact same spec.

Using ATI Theater mode or Matrox DVDmax mode the NTSC output does not blink, glitch or change during clips. Just a paused picture before the next clip begins.

I have consider the option of building one large clip, but the total clip length would be about 30GB with changes made weekly or hourly if the wrong clips are chosen.

I have also considered putting a single frame of black on the end of every clip. With the idea that I would have to do this to more than 100 clips monthly.

I believe that we might just might have to purchase a player designed for gapless digital signage playback.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 04 May 2007 12:12

Thanks for the reply as it does sound like your system is responding to VLC correctly.

Considering I'm not seeing extra frames in split videos, is it possible it's an editing issue? Video clips back to back should not respond differently assuming they begin and end on keyframes and of coarse be in the same formats and container.

dynamitemedia
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Split second freeze between video clips on a playlist

Postby dynamitemedia » 25 Jul 2007 08:25

i have this same issue....

and it could be a edit problem as when i have a streaming video from like say a MMS feed it stop and goes to the next clip near perfectly.

but if its a file i have on my pc... no such luck it freezes for 1/3 second as well

im gonna check out what you said about the key frames, that could be it, cause i just used virtual dub and cut it i never paid much attention to any keyframes.

i will post tomorrow afternoon/ night on the conclusion

indyshyguy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby indyshyguy » 25 Jul 2007 14:46

I have checked GOP sizes to make sure there is no Key frame funny business. I have tried different types of video. It would appear that a video in the playlist is loaded only when it is called to play. That would explain the freeze on the video.

dynamitemedia
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby dynamitemedia » 28 Jul 2007 00:34

i had went back and redid the videos as well and made sure they were on a keyfram etc.

and still the same thing, it freezes. which if you had a all black screen would be ok.

so i added black to the end and it freezes still when there is a pic present, so not sure now...

i´ll keep testing it.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”