VLC Wallpaper issue

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
eggshell
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VLC Wallpaper issue

Postby eggshell » 24 Jul 2007 21:08

Hi ,
running Win XP Home on a laptop(1280x800)+monitor(1600x1200) single display ( switching between )

It works fine when running Vlc in normal mode on both or wallpaper mode on the laptop screen

The problem comes when trying to run it in wallpaper mode on the monitor - i get a black wallpaper and vlc still working

To avoid repetitions i already made a search on the forum and none of the proposed solutions worked for me - tried setting wallpaper to none , forcing directx output etc..

My graphic drivers (Mobile Intel® 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express Chipset Family ) are up to date , same as DirectX

Any ideas ?

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: VLC Wallpaper issue

Postby dionoea » 24 Jul 2007 22:21

Try disabling video overlay in the prefs (note that this will degrade performance).
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

eggshell
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby eggshell » 24 Jul 2007 22:40

already tried that , saw it in other posts

no effect but thx anyway

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 25 Jul 2007 07:56

Wall Paper mode only works with and trough DirectX. Most Video cards do mot support Video Acceleration for the second monitor, thus the suggestion to shut down the "Overlay video output" option. However there are some video cards that simply will not do wallpaper mode. It is most likely this a driver issue, as VLC hands off the command to DirectX and it does the work.

eggshell
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby eggshell » 25 Jul 2007 15:34

thx for answering

it's really weird - usually working on the monitor , on a higher res., is more fluid ( faster responsiveness of the interface )

why would the wallpaper mode work on the laptop screen and not on the monitor , they share the same video card , same drivers

until now everything that worked on the one worked also on the other ( even like i mentionned , with a better perf on the monitor )

about Video Accel on second monitor - i've run all kind of recent games ( Ex. Stalker ) , for such a low-end card ( integrated ) it gives a suprisingly decent perf

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”