Unable to compile VLC

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
charlest
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Unable to compile VLC

Postby charlest » 01 Jul 2007 00:11

I can't compile the current release using Cygwin.
If you could help, please send me a reply.

The errors are highlighted in bold below.
//////////
rm -f libdtstofloat32_plugin.a
ar cru libdtstofloat32_plugin.a libdtstofloat32_plugin_a-dtstofloat32.o
ranlib libdtstofloat32_plugin.a
/bin/sh ../../../libtool --mode=link gcc -mno-cygwin -Wsign-compare -Wall -mms-bitfields -pipe -L/usr/win32/lib -o libdt
stofloat32_plugin.dll libdtstofloat32_plugin.a -L/usr/local/lib -g -shared -ldts_pic -u _vlc_entry__0_8_6
gcc -mno-cygwin -Wsign-compare -Wall -mms-bitfields -pipe -o libdtstofloat32_plugin.dll.exe -g -shared -u _vlc_entry__0_
8_6 -L/usr/win32/lib libdtstofloat32_plugin.a -L/usr/local/lib -ldts_pic
libdtstofloat32_plugin.a(libdtstofloat32_plugin_a-dtstofloat32.o): In function `Open':
/home/charles_tam/vlc-0.8.6c/modules/audio_filter/converter/dtstofloat32.c:219: undefined reference to `_dca_init'
libdtstofloat32_plugin.a(libdtstofloat32_plugin_a-dtstofloat32.o): In function `DoWork':
/home/charles_tam/vlc-0.8.6c/modules/audio_filter/converter/dtstofloat32.c:303: undefined reference to `_dca_syncinfo'
/home/charles_tam/vlc-0.8.6c/modules/audio_filter/converter/dtstofloat32.c:312: undefined reference to `_dca_frame'
/home/charles_tam/vlc-0.8.6c/modules/audio_filter/converter/dtstofloat32.c:331: undefined reference to `_dca_blocks_num'
/home/charles_tam/vlc-0.8.6c/modules/audio_filter/converter/dtstofloat32.c:335: undefined reference to `_dca_block'
/home/charles_tam/vlc-0.8.6c/modules/audio_filter/converter/dtstofloat32.c:341: undefined reference to `_dca_samples'
/home/charles_tam/vlc-0.8.6c/modules/audio_filter/converter/dtstofloat32.c:331: undefined reference to `_dca_blocks_num'
libdtstofloat32_plugin.a(libdtstofloat32_plugin_a-dtstofloat32.o): In function `Destroy':
/home/charles_tam/vlc-0.8.6c/modules/audio_filter/converter/dtstofloat32.c:376: undefined reference to `_dca_free'
libdtstofloat32_plugin.a(libdtstofloat32_plugin_a-dtstofloat32.o): In function `CloseFilter':
/home/charles_tam/vlc-0.8.6c/modules/audio_filter/converter/dtstofloat32.c:430: undefined reference to `_dca_free'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[6]: *** [libdtstofloat32_plugin.dll] Error 1
make[6]: Leaving directory `/home/charles_tam/vlc-0.8.6c/modules/audio_filter/converter'
make[5]: *** [all-modules] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory `/home/charles_tam/vlc-0.8.6c/modules/audio_filter/converter'
make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/charles_tam/vlc-0.8.6c/modules/audio_filter'
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/charles_tam/vlc-0.8.6c/modules/audio_filter'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/charles_tam/vlc-0.8.6c/modules'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/charles_tam/vlc-0.8.6c'
make: *** [all] Error 2

//////////

The inputs are:
gcc 3.4.4-3
vlc-snapshot-branch-0.8.6-bugfix-20070618.tar.gz (VLC 0.8.6c)
contrib-20070530-win32-bin-gcc-3.4.5-only.tar.bz2
//////////
// This is my configure script (source Win32CompileCygwin, VideoLAN Wiki)
//////////
./bootstrap && \
CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/win32/include -I/usr/win32/include/ebml" \
LDFLAGS=-L/usr/win32/lib \
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/win32/lib/pkgconfig \
CC="gcc -mno-cygwin" CXX="g++ -mno-cygwin" \
./configure \
--enable-sdl --with-sdl-config-path=/usr/win32/bin --disable-gtk \
--enable-nls \
--enable-ffmpeg --with-ffmpeg-mp3lame --with-ffmpeg-faac \
--with-ffmpeg-zlib --enable-faad --enable-flac --enable-theora \
--with-wx-config-path=/usr/win32/bin \
--with-freetype-config-path=/usr/win32/bin \
--with-fribidi-config-path=/usr/win32/bin \
--enable-live555 --with-live555-tree=/usr/win32/live.com \
--enable-caca --with-caca-config-path=/usr/win32/bin \
--with-xml2-config-path=/usr/win32/bin \
--with-dvdnav-config-path=/usr/win32/bin \
--disable-cddax --disable-vcdx --enable-goom \
--enable-twolame --enable-dvdread \
--disable-gnomevfs \
--enable-dts \
--enable-debug \
//////////

fred.hild
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Windows

Re: Unable to compile VLC

Postby fred.hild » 03 Jul 2007 09:17

Hello
I guess this is not helping much but I have exactly the same problem. I'm using the same gcc version and contributions packet but not the same source code (I'm using vlc-0.8.6c.zip).

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 03 Jul 2007 09:38

libdca/libdts... Use another version of this library.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

fred.hild
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby fred.hild » 03 Jul 2007 10:19

Thanks for the fast answer.
I have been able to get it to compile and run know (by disabling flac and dts) and will look into the other versions of the libdts later.

charlest
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby charlest » 03 Jul 2007 11:36

I'm new in VLC compilation. Where could I get another version of the "libdca/libdts" library?

fred.hild
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby fred.hild » 03 Jul 2007 16:48

From other contribution-packets i guess.

tomleonard
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby tomleonard » 21 Jul 2007 03:05

I have, per the wiki page on "How to Compile on Windows Using Cygwin":

1. Installed a new, complete Cygwin.

2. Downloaded and unpacked the source tree for vlc.0.8.c (vlc-0.8.6c.tar.bz2)

3. Downloaded and unpacked the pre-compiled contrib libraries (contrib-20070530-win32-bin-gcc-3.4.5-only.tar.bz2) to the standard Cygwin library path (using the -C / option).

4. Created vlc-config.sh

Code: Select all

./bootstrap && \ CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/win32/include -I/usr/win32/include/ebml" \ LDFLAGS=-L/usr/win32/lib \ PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/win32/lib/pkgconfig \ CC="gcc -mno-cygwin" CXX="g++ -mno-cygwin" \ ./configure \ --enable-sdl --with-sdl-config-path=/usr/win32/bin --disable-gtk \ --enable-nls \ --enable-ffmpeg --with-ffmpeg-mp3lame --with-ffmpeg-faac \ --with-ffmpeg-zlib --enable-faad --enable-flac --enable-theora \ --with-wx-config-path=/usr/win32/bin \ --with-freetype-config-path=/usr/win32/bin \ --with-fribidi-config-path=/usr/win32/bin \ --enable-flac \ --enable-live555 --with-live555-tree=/usr/win32/live.com \ --enable-caca --with-caca-config-path=/usr/win32/bin \ --with-xml2-config-path=/usr/win32/bin \ --with-dvdnav-config-path=/usr/win32/bin \ --disable-cddax --disable-vcdx --enable-goom \ --enable-twolame --enable-dvdread \ --disable-gnomevfs \ --enable-debug \ --enable-dts \
I added FLAC to the recommended script.

5. Ran ./vlc-config.sh and make.

6. Broke on Flac

/bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=link gcc -mno-cygwin -Wsign-compare -Wall -mms-bitfields -pipe -L/usr/win32/lib -o libflacdec_plugin.dll libflacdec_plugin.a -L/usr/local/lib -g -shared -lFLAC -u _vlc_entry__0_8_6 gcc -mno-cygwin -Wsign-compare -Wall -mms-bitfields -pipe -o libflacdec_plugin.dll.exe -g -shared -u _vlc_entry__0_8_6 -L/usr/win32/lib libflacdec_plugin.a -L/usr/local/lib /usr/win32/lib/libFLAC.a -lm /usr/win32/lib/libogg.a /usr/win32/lib/libFLAC.a(bitwriter.o):bitwriter.c:(.text+0x3fb): undefined reference to `_ntohl@4' /usr/win32/lib/libFLAC.a(bitwriter.o):bitwriter.c:(.text+0x488): undefined reference to `_ntohl@4' /usr/win32/lib/libFLAC.a(bitwriter.o):bitwriter.c:(.text+0x4e5): undefined reference to `_ntohl@4' /usr/win32/lib/libFLAC.a(bitwriter.o):bitwriter.c:(.text+0x57f): undefined reference to `_ntohl@4' /usr/win32/lib/libFLAC.a(bitwriter.o):bitwriter.c:(.text+0x5d5): undefined reference to `_ntohl@4' /usr/win32/lib/libFLAC.a(bitwriter.o):bitwriter.c:(.text+0x66f): more undefined references to `_ntohl@4' follow collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
7. Dropped Flac (./configure --disable-flac), did a ./toolbox --distclean, ./vlc-config.sh and make.

8. Broke on dts

9 Dropped dts. This required a major hack of the relevant make files because ./configure --disable-dts did not remove dts from the build.

10. Compiled.

I would now like to fix the breakage. Can someone please point me to the source tree, pre-compiled contrib libraries and configure settings that were used to build the actual release of vlc.0.8.6c. I simply wish to recreate the release build so I can then modify a couple of plugins.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 23 Jul 2007 11:36

Can't you read the INSTALL.WIN32 file ? Sorry to be sharp but this file tell you to use http://download.videolan.org//pub/testi ... ly.tar.bz2
as a contrib.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

tomleonard
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby tomleonard » 23 Jul 2007 16:25

Thank you for pointing out my error. I've updated the wiki instructions to suggest that the INSTALL.Win32 file be referenced for the location of the relevant contrib package. When I download and install the file (having removed the wrong versions first), I note that the root for the libraries is:

"usr/win32-branch" rather than "usr/win32".

I used the configuration script recommendation from INSTALL.Win32 and modified it to refer to /usr/win32-branch. I can run configure OK, but when I run make, I get the following error:

gcc -mno-cygwin -Wsign-compare -Wall -mms-bitfields -pipe -o libaccess_smb_plugin.dll.exe -g -shared -u _vlc_entry__0_8_6 -L/usr/win32-branch/lib libaccess_smb_plugin.a -L/usr/local/lib if gcc -mno-cygwin -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I/usr/win32-branch/include -I/usr/win32-branch/include/ebml -D_OFF_T_ -D_off_t=long -DSYS_MINGW32 -I../../include `top_builddir="../.." ../../vlc- config --cflags plugin dvdnav` -Wsign-compare -Wall -mms-bitfields -pipe -MT libdvdnav_plugin_a-dvdnav.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/libdvdnav_plugin_a-dvdnav.Tpo" \ -c -o libdvdnav_plugin_a-dvdnav.o `test -f 'dvdnav.c' || echo './'`dvdnav.c; \ then mv -f ".deps/libdvdnav_plugin_a-dvdnav.Tpo" ".deps/libdvdnav_plugin_a-dvdnav.Po"; \ else rm -f ".deps/libdvdnav_plugin_a-dvdnav.Tpo"; exit 1; \ fi dvdnav.c: In function `Demux': dvdnav.c:727: warning: int format, different type arg (arg 6) dvdnav.c:728: warning: int format, different type arg (arg 6) dvdnav.c:729: warning: int format, different type arg (arg 6) dvdnav.c:730: warning: int format, different type arg (arg 6) dvdnav.c:731: warning: int format, different type arg (arg 6) rm -f libdvdnav_plugin.a ar cru libdvdnav_plugin.a libdvdnav_plugin_a-dvdnav.o ranlib libdvdnav_plugin.a /bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=link gcc -mno-cygwin -Wsign-compare -Wall -mms-bitfields -pipe -L/usr/win32-branch/lib -o libdvdnav_plugin.dll libdvdnav_plugin.a -L/usr/local/lib -g -shared -L/usr/win32- branch/lib -ldvdnav -ldvdread -ldvdcss -u _vlc_entry__0_8_6 libtool: link: warning: library `/usr/win32-branch/lib/libdvdnav.la' was moved. libtool: link: warning: library `/usr/win32-branch/lib/libdvdread.la' was moved. libtool: link: warning: library `/usr/win32-branch/lib/libdvdcss.la' was moved. libtool: link: warning: library `/usr/win32-branch/lib/libdvdnav.la' was moved. libtool: link: cannot find the library `/home/videolan/jb/0.8.6-bugfix/extras/contrib/lib/libdvdread.la' or unhandled argument `/home/videolan/jb/0.8.6-bugfix/extras/contrib/lib/libdvdread.la' make[4]: *** [libdvdnav_plugin.dll] Error 1 make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/Tom/devel/vlc-0.8.6c/modules/access' make[3]: *** [all-modules] Error 1 make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/Tom/devel/vlc-0.8.6c/modules/access' make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/Tom/devel/vlc-0.8.6c/modules' make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Tom/devel/vlc-0.8.6c' make: *** [all] Error 2
I suspect I need to specify /usr/win32-branch/lib/libdvdread.la somewhere, rather than /home/videolan/jb/0.8.6-bugfix/extras/contrib/lib/libdvdread.la, but I don't know where.

As a workaround, I made a symbolic link: /home/videolan/jb/0.8.6-bugfix/extras/contrib/lib --> /usr/win32-branch/lib, and this seems to have done the trick.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”