Installing - no write permission

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
OttifantSir
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Installing - no write permission

Postby OttifantSir » 19 Jun 2007 00:20

I wanted to upgrade to 0.8.6c today and downloaded the installer, went to Add/Remove Programs, inserted the filename and off I went. It uninstalled my previous version (0.8.6.b) but I didn't check the checkbox to delete preferences and cache.

Chose all installation options, except associating VLC with Windows Media (it tends to skip alot, and I have some DRM-videos).

I hit Install, and next I know, I get an error message saying "Couldn't open folder "\ C:\Programfiler\VideoLAN\VLC\" for writing" Abort, Try Again, Ignore? (May be worded differently, I am Norwegian and use Norwegian Installer)

I went to the folder, right-clicked and hit Properties. As I suspected, the folder was write-protected, so I took off that. Still no go. Same error message. I re-installed 0.8.6b and it went like a charm. No error message.

A problem in the installer? Something I missed when choosing options? Should I JUST hit the installer file, not go through Add/Remove Programs?

Some help would be appreciated.

OttifantSir
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Installing - no write permission

Postby OttifantSir » 08 Jul 2007 22:52

Please, I would like to benefit from the upgrade of VLC.

Can anyone help me, or do I need to submit a bug-ticket?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 09 Jul 2007 00:01

I haven't come across this one.

It very will be you are not the administrator of your system???

You could just download the zip or 7z file and dump it over the old install as this is a maintenance release it will work fine and still be removable with the add/remove programs.

Note: If you use the Mozilla or ActiveX plug-in(s) they will need to be copied to the correct locations.

OttifantSir
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby OttifantSir » 09 Jul 2007 01:37

Nope, no less than administrator rights.

This happened before I installed Ubuntu and the NTFS-read and write driver for GNU/Linux, so it can't be that either.

I have used VLC for about four different releases now, and no other installation has had this problem. As I said in the OP, I re-installed 0.8.6b and it worked like a charm. No write-permission error.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 10 Jul 2007 06:29

The zip or 7z doesn't have an installer and I did say "dump it over the old install", so I'm not quite sure what you don't understand or what doesn't work at this point???

OttifantSir
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby OttifantSir » 11 Jul 2007 15:39

My point is: I wish to know why this happens.

I want to know why I am not allowed to use the installer for this version.

I will do the "dump-over" once I am back home, but that doesn't satisfy my curiosity.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 12 Jul 2007 08:31

I have NO idea as there have been no other reports like this. I just provided a work around for your issue.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”