problems playing h.264 mpeg ts

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
khilliard
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

problems playing h.264 mpeg ts

Postby khilliard » 19 May 2007 19:31

I have h.264/mp3 movies stored in .mp4 containers. VLC plays these files OK. I remuxed the .mp4 files to mpeg ts using Elecard's XMuxer Lite (I need to stream to an amino STB). The .ts files initially play (it seems) up until there is a lot of full screen action. It stutters for a while then freezes, no sound. The progress slider still advances, like it's still playing. I'm running VLC version 0.8.6b under Windows XP.

In case the problems is with XMuxer, does anyone have a good solution for converting .mp4 files to mpeg ts?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 20 May 2007 08:19

In the past Elcard has not been compatible to anything except itself, however I do not know if this has changed in recent versions.

What is the resolution of the file?
What is your machine (CPU and GPU)?
Can you provide a sample somewhere?

khilliard
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby khilliard » 20 May 2007 10:30

The content is a standard NTSC DVD resolution-wise. I cropped the black bars (e.g., changing the resolution to from 720x480 to 720x352). I used megui's tool for this. x264 was used to convert the DVD VOB file to h.264, besweet to convert the ac3 5.1 audio to mp3 and mp4box to mux the h.264 and mp3 into a mp4 container. I used h.264 main profile, level 3. The average video bitrate was 1000 kbps. The average audio bitrate was 96 kbps.

The PC is was a standard Intel Pentium 4 2.4 ghz using an 82865G grphics controller. I'm running Windows XP Professional.

I don't have any sample. I used DVD Decrypter to convert the DVD to a VOB. The DVDs were just plain NTSC mpeg2.

I replied to an earlier email you sent me to another post of mine. Basically it is the same issue. I'm just looking for something to convert VOBs to h.264 and mp3 (or aac) audio into an mpeg ts container. I have to use mpeg ts because I'm streaming the content to a amino STB. I want to use VLC as part of a loading test of our RTSP streamer, running vlc instances on multiple PCs. If you have any suggestion it would be greatly appreciated. I'll try anything, Windows or Linux that will work.

Again, thanks for your help.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 20 May 2007 10:49

ATM h.264 does not copy to MPEG TS. If you look at messages during the copy you will see that it doesn't connect.

But you can make h.264 in MPEG TS from MPEG 2 using VLC (x264).

MP2v is the MPEG 2 format within VLC and NOT a container.

Please stop double posting here. It dooes not increase your chances of being answered. But it does make us not want to help. :twisted: Read the rules for posting.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”