VLC Media Player responds to IGMP Queries?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
sampeeko
New Cone
New Cone

VLC Media Player responds to IGMP Queries?

Postby sampeeko » 10 May 2007 21:01

Hi,

Does VLC player respond to IGMP queries? If so, where do you set this? I have multicast streams and a router performing queries. VLC is not responding to the queries so the video times out at the query expirey. I am using the network stream option. I see the IGMP join and leave messages when I hit play and stop.

I did a quick search through the docs and the forums so please excuse me if I missed something obvious here. :-)

Thanks for any help!

SP

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 11 May 2007 07:27

To the best of my knowledge NO! So you probably didn't miss anything.

ddy
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC Media Player responds to IGMP Queries?

Postby ddy » 17 May 2007 06:18

I also have this problem.What reason is this?
Hi,

Does VLC player respond to IGMP queries? If so, where do you set this? I have multicast streams and a router performing queries. VLC is not responding to the queries so the video times out at the query expirey. I am using the network stream option. I see the IGMP join and leave messages when I hit play and stop.

I did a quick search through the docs and the forums so please excuse me if I missed something obvious here. :-)

Thanks for any help!

SP

Teta
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 0.8.6c
Operating System: Windows

Postby Teta » 18 May 2007 10:25

I'm using this on my network (Cisco) and have no problems at all.

I do have IGMP spoofing switched on all my switches and use PIM Sparse-Dense mode for multicast routing. I can see the IGMP messages coming from the VLC clients and being spoofed to the source switch.

I haven't had a timeout yet and some clients are running the whole day.
So I would guess that the problem lies with your network configuration, not VLC...

Teta

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 18 May 2007 12:06

Thanks for the answer. None of the devs have ever answered this and there is no documentation on it.

Teta
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Teta » 19 May 2007 10:58

I am planning to capture an IGMP conversation between a VLC listener and a VLC multicast source to see how much IGMP is supported (which version, etc). I'm finishing of the project first, so don't expect anything before the end of June.

I might also have a look at the source code to see how IGMP is implemented (what version etc...), but then I would need to have a notion of where to start looking, there's just so much source code to go through.

Teta

cdtdaddy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cdtdaddy » 19 May 2007 11:52

I might also have a look at the source code to see how IGMP is implemented (what version etc...), but then I would need to have a notion of where to start looking, there's just so much source code to go through.
Teta
You won't find anything :)
IGMP is implemented in the OS kernel. Whenever a multicast listen socket is opened, the OS (on behalf of the application that request a multicast group subscription) starts generating Membership Report in response to Generic/Group-Specific Queries.

Teta
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Teta » 19 May 2007 13:04

So that means that IGMP support is OS dependent and not VLC...

Good to know!

Teta

aken
New Cone
New Cone

about the reply of igmp query

Postby aken » 11 Jun 2007 21:41

yes, I found that the vlc in laptop cann't reply igmp query. however, the desktop work well. the vlc version is the same. and the OS are both windows XP.

:( Who can tell me how to make laptop reply the igmp query??
I am urgent.

Teta
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Teta » 11 Jun 2007 23:49

I have the same issue.

It works fine on a Dell Latitude D-820, but it doesn't work on the D-420 :(

I'll try to figure out why later this month, got other more urgent matters to attend to now. If you want to look for yourself, I would start with IGMP support in the NIC drivers.

Teta

aken
New Cone
New Cone

whose problem?

Postby aken » 12 Jun 2007 09:42

Whose problem result in No response to IGMP query?
OS? net card driver ?

I am no sure now.

aken
New Cone
New Cone

I have found the way to solve this problem

Postby aken » 13 Jun 2007 21:03

disable two service "window firewall/ICS" and "security center", then, the laptop can reply the igmp query.

you can check your service by run msconfig.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”