JVLC issue

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
jakechoi
New Cone
New Cone

JVLC issue

Postby jakechoi » 20 Oct 2006 20:13

Hi,

We were highly attracted by the cross platform video playing
capability in the VNC and decided to use it in our CDN application
based on Java.

We have added VLC plugin to communicate with our CDN application
and want to share with anyone who is interested in.
And at the same time we also want to have good help from anyone who
is familiar with problems we are dealing with.

We have some problems to do with JVLC (0.8.5) such as video
is not always embbedded in the window frame (JPanel) we
have created.

It works most of times, but it doesn't very rarely (1 in 100).
(It shows video in the separate window. And this is why we
create the our version of plugin to work around...)

If anyone know how to solve this, please let us know.

Thank you,

Jake Choi

otrofox
New Cone
New Cone

Postby otrofox » 26 Jan 2007 14:00

Is it possible to hang your version? We are all having the same problem.

ahmdprog
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ahmdprog » 27 Jan 2007 00:50

hi,

the JVLC is very very * 1000000000 * very experimental.

don't think that it is easy job to call JNI and have video and audio working fine with JVM.

the biggest problem with JVLC is not the features and JPanel or something like this. the problem it is not stable with JVM.

I have compiled the JVLC more than 100 times changing the code trying to know why the _--please stay polite-- JVM crashed sometimes when trying to create instance of JVLC(createInstance).

I think, it is better to start writing JNI be myself rather than depending on other people code.

ballofking
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ballofking » 27 Jan 2007 02:13

I agree with ahmdprog.JVLC is too instable.

littlejohn
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby littlejohn » 14 Mar 2007 14:18

I agree with ahmdprog.JVLC is too instable.
JVLC for windows is. The same code under Linux works fine. We want it to be stable for all the platforms, so instead of just complaining help us to do so.

Cheers

ahmdprog
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ahmdprog » 14 Mar 2007 17:29

No one is complaining, the JVLC was very poor and unstable at all, i have compiled the JVLC many many times, and i tried to build the JVLC under windows, Fedora Core 6 and Debian, and Suse 10.2, looking for stable one.

I have rewrite all the JNI staff, trying to make stable one, I have asked the JVLC developer for that, and I asked any one who know the C code of VLC to help me in writing JNI, but useless.

I have send my JVLC to many many people for testing. all of us are looking to have JVLC working fine, and if we complain, that means we need it working propably.

so, no one is complaining.

Regards,
Ahmad.

otrofox
New Cone
New Cone

Postby otrofox » 07 May 2007 15:41

Not sure but, IMHO, the main unstability problem of JVLC for Windows is related to the asynchronism of JNI calls. If, after a call (i.e. playlist.play(-1, null)) you wait 400ms, the JVM doesn't crash. By contrast, if you try to make a lot of calls at the time without a little sleep time between them, it will crash for sure.
I think littlejohn is working on it, as it is reported on Trac.
The problems are being solved so, let's wait a little to get this project working.

littlejohn
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby littlejohn » 07 May 2007 20:44

Not sure but, IMHO, the main unstability problem of JVLC for Windows is related to the asynchronism of JNI calls. If, after a call (i.e. playlist.play(-1, null)) you wait 400ms, the JVM doesn't crash. By contrast, if you try to make a lot of calls at the time without a little sleep time between them, it will crash for sure.
The problems are being solved so, let's wait a little to get this project working.
... or send patches :)

agussi
New Cone
New Cone

Re:

Postby agussi » 24 Jun 2008 17:46

... or send patches :)

what is the state of the work ?
is there some patch to correct this problem ?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”