Annoying Problems (Choppy Video/Crashes)

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Xeir
New Cone
New Cone

Annoying Problems (Choppy Video/Crashes)

Postby Xeir » 05 Apr 2007 06:36

My first problem is choppy video playback, which as it turns out happens no matter what player I use. It's not terrible, but it's very distracting and is starting to bother my eyes. My computer should be more than capable of watching a video file with choppy playback. It happens on all video file types I use. (avi, wmv, mpeg, mkv)

My second problem is arguably worst than the first, but is more tolerable. Whenever I watch a video that is longer than around 3-5 minutes, then I exit vlc my whole computer freezes up after 10 seconds or so and I am forced to do a hard reset. I don't understand the problem because I can leave a video paused all day, but as soon as I exit, it happens. I had this problem in the past and it is one of the reasons I reinstalled my OS about two months ago. And for a while the problem did not occur, but now for some reason it came back, and it did not happen after any driver updates of any kind, it seemed truly random. Would like to note the choppy video playback was not a problem before my OS reinstallation.

Relevant System Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
1 GB RAM
ASUS GeForce 6800 TD 512MB

If anything else will help let me know...

My next step is to reinstall my video drivers, or go with some third part drivers, which is a very last resort if I can help it.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 05 Apr 2007 07:13

Well from most of the things that I’ve read on this board, choppy video is often times linked to your soundcard. Try changing the audio output: Preferences > Audio > Output modules (check the “Advanced options” tab at the bottom-right corner). Change it to “Win32 waveOut extension output”, save and restart VLC.

What soundcard do you use?

Xeir
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Xeir » 05 Apr 2007 07:29

Forgot to mention my motherboard, which has on-board audio which is what I use.

ECS NFORCE3-A939 - Good ol' AC97 Sound.

And the audio changes did not effect my choppy video. In fact it seems to have made it worse. Made it chop horizontally.
Last edited by Xeir on 05 Apr 2007 07:43, edited 1 time in total.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 05 Apr 2007 07:42

Well it’s been reported that this particular soundcard causes this choppy video problem, and the solution is to use older drivers. I’m not too sure where on this forum I’ve seen them so you might want to do a search. Try typing in “AC97” in this forum’s search engine and see what comes up, or you could just get a PCI soundcard. :P

Xeir
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Xeir » 05 Apr 2007 08:23

I installed the latest sound drivers, and reverted to the last gfx drivers directly from asus. (as opposed to the ones on the nvidia site) And both problems seem to be fixed... Who knows... just hoping it lasts.

Jizah
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Jizah » 07 Apr 2007 23:28

I have the same crashing on exit problem, would be nice to know how to fix this. At the moment I just end the process in task manager.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 07 Apr 2007 23:43

It's possible you've changed a setting in the preferences that's causing this to happen. Go to: C:/Documents and Settings/User (That's you)/Application Data (it's hidden, make it visible)/vlc. Delete the "vlc" folder and start VLC media player. This will reset all changes made in the preferences menu.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”