Choppy Output

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
stonkers
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Choppy Output

Postby stonkers » 25 Mar 2007 20:20

We have a few video cameras coming going through a Videonics MX-1 Video Mixer into an ATI All-In-Wonder video card. Today we upgraded our video driver and now get a very choppy output. Before it was awesome. It looks great on the ATI display software, but horrit in VLC. Any clue what we could have done wrong or if we need to change a setting in VLC? Using version 0.8.5 of VLC.

Thanks,
Eric

stonkers
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby stonkers » 25 Mar 2007 20:26

BTW - the reason we upgraded our video driver is because every once in a while VLC would totally freeze up. We blamed the video card, but it may have been VLC...

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 25 Mar 2007 21:01

The freeze issue has been related to certain audio drivers. Primarily to Realtec ac97 drivers.

All digital video is sync to audio. If this is not working properly there will be issues. Some cards (chip sets) do not do 48K sampling or a float32 function or do not release properly when a program is closed causing a lockup.

stonkers
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby stonkers » 26 Mar 2007 14:27

We have a Realtec audio driver in there, but that's not what I select for capture device, I select the ATI input. Do I need to change the Realtec out anyway? No biggie, I can do that, but if so, what is recommended?

You can search here as I don't remember the drivers, but you must move back in time to solve the lock up issue.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 26 Mar 2007 19:06

Maybe you can try an SB Audigy 2 Z/S by Creative. There are some third party drivers that work really well with this sound card, but this is just my opinion.

There’s also the Audigy 4 series (also by Creative), but I’m not quite sure to what extent these third party drivers support this card.

Oh, and you can get them cheap online. :wink:

stonkers
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby stonkers » 27 Mar 2007 15:17

So just to be sure before going out and buying anything:

1) I should be grabbing the audio stream from the computer's sound card rather than the ATI sound card. (i.e. ATI TV Wonder Pro A/V Capture)
2) The realtec soundcard is more than likely the problem
3) If I switch over to the "SB Audigy 2 Z/S", I'll be able to fix this problem if I use a third party driver (what driver?).

Is this info correct, and if not, can you give me a little hint where I'm going wrong?

Thanks,
Eric <><

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 27 Mar 2007 20:11

(1) I’m not too sure about that simply because the audio and video are synchronized first on the capture card and then sent to the audio and video card; plugging it directly into the soundcard may result in the audio coming before the video (strange delay).

(2) I believe Realtec is an on-board soundcard, am I correct? On-board soundcards are often times problematic, especially when it comes to drivers. So it’s more then likely that a regular PCI sound card will have better performance.

(3) Since this is also in relation to your capture card, I’m not 100% sure. I have that same exact capture card, but I hardly use it, so maybe someone more knowledgeable about the combination of these two can help you. I just know that these drivers have fixed a few problems on my end.

If you do decide to get it anyways, here are the drivers (scroll down to “download link”): kx audio drivers v3538

[Mini disclaimer]:
CloudStalker is not responsible for your purchases. CloudStalker only gives recommendations for things that have worked for CloudStalker and your satisfaction may vary. :D

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”