Stop window resizing between videos?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
woohoomoo
New Cone
New Cone

Stop window resizing between videos?

Postby woohoomoo » 21 Mar 2007 14:49

Been using 0.8.5 for quite a while and had no real issues with it. But upgraded to 0.8.6a a week or two ago and having one very annoying problem so far.

Ok, right now im watching a season of a TV show. Each file has the same resolution. My window has been resized and positioned in a way I can both surf and "watch" at the same time... When it start's playing the next video though the window resizes itself to the video's resolution.

Very...no, extremely annoying - im sure there's a way to fix it but I can't figure out what it could be. I could downgrade back to 0.8.5 but i like the fullscreen controls in the current version, so would rather not.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 21 Mar 2007 15:29

Go to: Preferences > Video (Check the “Advanced options” box), scroll down to “Window properties” and you’ll be able to force the video width, height, X and Y coordinate. So if the video’s resolution is 640x480 then type: Video width = 640, Video height = 480.

woohoomoo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby woohoomoo » 21 Mar 2007 16:18

Thanks, but not really what I was after. Sorry if that sounds ungrateful as it's not intended. To help you understand my problem i'll use screenshots to illustrate.

Screenshot 1:
Video 1 is playing in a manually resized window. Window is resized in a way that I can watch and browse (for example) at the same time.

http://xs413.xs.to/xs413/07123/screen1vlcmax.png

Screenshot 2:
Video 2 starts playing when video 1 finishes, but the window that played video 1 has now automatically resized itself to the actual video dimensions. In 0.8.5 I did not have this problem - as long as the videos had the same resolution, my resized window always stayed that size and in that position.

After the switch to 0.8.6a though, well...hopefully you can see my problem. It's very minor, but it's also extremely annoying since it's worked fine since I started using VLC, and now it's 'broke'.

http://xs413.xs.to/xs413/07123/screen2vlcmax.png

Ps. Brought the VLC window to front of browser so you can see it clearer, since most of it was hidden after the video change

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 21 Mar 2007 22:01

I think you mean 0.8.4 as the player resize to the video started then. No change was made from 0.8.5 to 0.8.6 that I am aware of.

At the start of a media file everything needed is loaded and at the end everything is released and the process repeats for each file. The height and width options in Preferences, Video under Windows properties can be changed to the old defaults by entering 781 for Video width and 331 for Video height. Then press Save and close the player.

woohoomoo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby woohoomoo » 21 Mar 2007 23:22

Being a moderator (and hence know a fair bit more about VLC than myself) I dont want to correct you... But I was using 0.8.5 and did not have the problem. After the upgrade to 0.8.6a, the problem started.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 22 Mar 2007 09:49

OK! :P Then I am unclear as to the problem???

In 0.8.4 the video was sized to the player. In 0.8.5 the player was resized to the video. So what are you talking about?

woohoomoo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby woohoomoo » 22 Mar 2007 14:29

Switched back to 0.8.5 and the window no longer resizes to the video dimensions, but remains at the size to which I manually resized it.

So problem solved then I guess :)

spiffy2
New Cone
New Cone

Postby spiffy2 » 06 Jun 2007 03:49

I also am frustrated by the spontaneous resizing. The behavior seems erratic -- sometimes it will not do it for a long time, then suddenly it will start again. Preferences > Video > Window properties has no lasting effect, as far as I can tell. I'm hesitant to downgrade to 0.8.5...

VL also does other frustrating things when transitioning between videos, like stealing the focus and resetting the play speed to 1x. Are there any settings that will make my explicit commands more sticky?

0.8.6a, XPsp2

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 06 Jun 2007 08:31

None of the mentioned issues are encountered here. As I told the original poster the Video being resized to the resolution of the video rather than resized to the player started in 0.8.5

The old default settings are Preferences, Video Under Window Properties set Video width to 781 and Video height to 331

This is unlike what CloudStalker suggested.

As for the rest of what you talk about see below:

Options-styles:
--option A global option that is set for the duration of the program.
-option A single letter version of a global --option.
:option An option that only applies to the stream directly before it
and that overrides previous settings.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”