Playlist, russian titles

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
MAK
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Playlist, russian titles

Postby MAK » 20 Mar 2007 10:36

Good day.

I'm using vlc 0.8.6
When i'm loading playlist with russian titles, they are not displayed.
can any one help?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 20 Mar 2007 19:18

Assuming the subtitle text encoding is correct for your language, try manually loading the sub using the File Open Menu and then select your language by right click on the video and select Subtitle.

MAK
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MAK » 21 Mar 2007 10:11

i'm talking not about subtitles
i've got "empty" strings in playlist, where is the item title in russian

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 21 Mar 2007 10:22

What is the system language?

What language is VLC showing up in? Menus, preferences and etc.

MAK
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MAK » 21 Mar 2007 13:39

system lang - russian
vlc lang - russian, english

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 21 Mar 2007 22:18

I would suggest erasing the preferences directory just before starting the following procedure. C:\Documents and Settings\Owner (this is you)\Application Data\VLC Erase VLC, Application Data is a hidden directory so you will need to make it visible.

Considering that VLC will rebuild the preferences folder the first time it is opened, I would suggest using the DOS box method so that the correct language is selected the first time VLC is opened.

Languages

VLC uses the fonts installed on your system for your language! The default is the installed language.

This can be changed in Preferences, Interface from the pull down select your language. But you may not be able to see this. :lol:

So open a DOS box and type: CD "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC" Then type: vlc --language en for English or fr for French

Syntax: --language {auto,en,en_GB,ca,da,de,es,fr,it,ja,ka,ko,nl,oc,pt_BR,ro,ru,tr,
zh_CN,zh_TW}

When VLC opens check to be sure you can read the menus and then open Preferences and press "Save" then close the player.

If you are still having problems with your preferred language you will need to install or reinstall that language within Windows so that it will fill in the missing or broken fonts in your system. 8)

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”