VLC Downloader as a library??

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
dl0haus
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VLC Downloader as a library??

Postby dl0haus » 19 Mar 2007 18:49

I have a project I'm working on. I currently have downloading of asf streams from an MMS server working. The code is written in C#. There appear to be nuances in the .ASF format since MP11 where the timings are a little off. Instead of having to debug all of these issues while I working HTTP and RTSP protocols in a custom app, I considered the idea of attempting to use VLC to do this kind of stuff "behind the scenes".

The application that I'm working on is essentially a stream management application for a broadcasting network. They broadcast live streams from all over North America. My application downloads multiple streams to files for later playback. This application needs the ability to do upwards of 30-50 streams (depending on bandwidth, obviously). These are 256k streams.

At any rate, I was wondering about the ability to use VLC as a library or if there is some code set out there that can be executed from a .NET application. I can port the existing application to C++ to facilitate an easier inclusion of external C libraries if that is necessary. I don't need the visual aspect of VLC, just its ability to download MMS/HTTP/RTSP, offloading the raw stream to any one of its supported formats (I need AVI, WMV, or some other format that can allow for FF, rewind, and scanning of the file to any location for viewing).

I'm not necessarily looking for a COM interface, just the ability to run VLC downloads from the library in a way that is seamless to my application. The only caveat here is each instance of a download probably needs its own thread with some kind of callback mechanism to send status back to the .NET application host (for updating of counters and the visual stuff), along with any error conditions so they can be handled in the interface.

Does the VLC library/application package currently have this kind of functionality?

Thanks,
D

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”