Saving capture device settings?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
deaf_head
New Cone
New Cone

Saving capture device settings?

Postby deaf_head » 09 Feb 2007 20:59

Every time I restart VLC, I have to reconfigure it for my capture device. Is there anyway to save the settings?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 09 Feb 2007 21:08

You can make a playlist and call it anything.m3u

It will take this form:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:0,22 - SETUP - 22
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-vdev=
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-adev=
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-size=
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-caching=300
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-chroma=
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-fps=
#EXTVLCOPT:no-dshow-config
#EXTVLCOPT:no-dshow-tuner
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-tuner-channel=
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-tuner-country=
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-tuner-input=
#EXTVLCOPT:sout=#transcode {vcodec=,vb=,scale=1,acodec=,ab=,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=,mux=,url=192.168.1.101}}
dshow://

Please note: The line starting with :stout=#transcode needs to be all on one line. If you do not need streaming or want transcoding or want nothing the line may be modified or deleted to suit your taste. This is a blank example and you will need to fill in the info for your device.

stonkers
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby stonkers » 10 Feb 2007 19:46

I've tried this but it opens an empty VLC instance. Here's my file:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:0,22 - SETUP - 22
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-vdev=
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-adev=
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-size=
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-caching=200
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-chroma=
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-fps=0.000000
#EXTVLCOPT:no-dshow-config
#EXTVLCOPT:no-dshow-tuner
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-tuner-channel=0
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-tuner-country=0
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-tuner-input=0
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-video-input=1
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-audio-input=4
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-video-output=-1
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-audio-output=-1
#EXTVLCOPT:sout=:sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=256,scale=1,acodec=mp3,ab=64,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=display,dst=std{access=file,mux=ts,dst="NextTest.mp4"}}
dshow://

Can someone point out my problems?

Thanks,
Eric <><

deaf_head
New Cone
New Cone

Postby deaf_head » 11 Feb 2007 05:05

Still having trouble. Nothing happens when I adjust the info you gave me.

Granted, I'm a pretty big newb when its comes to this stuff ... but I think I entered it all in correctly.

Code: Select all

#EXTM3U #EXTINF:0,22 - SETUP - 22 #EXTVLCOPT:dshow-vdev=="ATI TV Wonder Pro A/V Capture" #EXTVLCOPT:dshow-adev= #EXTVLCOPT:dshow-size= #EXTVLCOPT:dshow-caching=300 #EXTVLCOPT:dshow-chroma= #EXTVLCOPT:dshow-fps=30.00 #EXTVLCOPT:no-dshow-config #EXTVLCOPT:no-dshow-tuner #EXTVLCOPT:dshow-tuner-channel=73 #EXTVLCOPT:dshow-tuner-country=0 #EXTVLCOPT:dshow-tuner-input= cable #EXTVLCOPT:dshow-video-input=-1 #EXTVLCOPT:dshow-audio-input=-1 #EXTVLCOPT:dshow-video-output=-1 #EXTVLCOPT:dshow-audio-output=-1

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 11 Feb 2007 05:35

I don’t know if this is what you’re looking for, but you should be able to adjust this in the “Preferences” menu.

Right-click on the player and go to: Preferences > Input / Codecs > Access modules > Direct Show, then adjust whichever settings you want, now save you’re settings and restart the player.

When you go back to the Capture Device everything you’ve changed should come up every time. I hope this is what you were talking about, and I hope it helped.

stonkers
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby stonkers » 12 Feb 2007 19:09

That's EXACTLY what I was looking for! Now, is the "Open Network Stream" stuff in there also. In other words, can I save down the:

#EXTVLCOPT:sout=:sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=256,scale=1,acodec=mp3,ab=64,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=display,dst=std{access=file,mux=ts,dst="NextTest.mp4"}}

Into preferences?

stonkers
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby stonkers » 19 Mar 2007 17:14

This turns out to be REALLY easy and I know that most users here know how to do this (they just don't seem to be the most friendly). But for those who don't, here's what you do:

1) Get all your settings where you want them
2) Go to View/Playlist
3) In the Playlist, go to Manage/Save Playlist

This will allow you to save down an M3U file that will open up a VLC session with the exact same settings (all of them).

FireW0lf
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby FireW0lf » 27 Mar 2007 18:41

Hi all

I've been looking at a very similar issue...

I want to create a playlist with multiple channels from an Analog TV Cap card, which will have 5 entries - 1 for each channel, so that I can issue a "prev" or "next" to change channel on my card

Unfortunately, the docs for editing a playlist appear to be non-existent, and those #EXTVLCopts above don't even appear in my playlist when I save one - all I get is some simple XML with the only channel info being "dshow://" without any of the options - am I missing something blindingly obvious?

Thanks in advance

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”