VLC on windows to DSS on Unix? Is this possible?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
gcooper
New Cone
New Cone

VLC on windows to DSS on Unix? Is this possible?

Postby gcooper » 02 Mar 2007 04:48

I am trying to create that sdp file so I can transfer my stream to darwin streaming server. But I am having one hell of a time. Is this possible to use VLC on windows to send a video feed to DSS?

The command I am using to connect to my unix darwin server from my windows VLC is

sout=#duplicate{dst=rtp{dst=192.168.22.182,ttl=255,sdp=sap,sdp=file:///usr/local/share/DarwinStreamingServer/movies/cooper3.sdp,name=Grant2}

But nothing happens. I can get a play list to activate a relay but I can't get my VLC to do it? What am I doing wrong?

I know I am getting a connection through and my messages show I am streaming but I can't get darwin to activate the relay on the 127.0.0.1

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 02 Mar 2007 08:43

You upload to a server and stream from a server.

If I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to do then try to be more clear please.

gcooper
New Cone
New Cone

Postby gcooper » 02 Mar 2007 09:14

I want to use Darwin as my Streaming Server and use VLC with a camra to cature the game and send the game to Darwins Streaming Server for users to connect to.

Can I do this? Or do am I not understanding the technology. I have each working on there own but I saw documentation that I can have VLC and DSS on seprate servers.

Mac's broadcasting software automatically created files on Darwin. I was told that I can use VLC to do the same thing.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 02 Mar 2007 09:31

Still seems the answer would be NO! Perhaps one of the devs will comment.

Try using VLC to do the whole thing.

gcooper
New Cone
New Cone

Postby gcooper » 02 Mar 2007 19:16

Dam, probally why I could get it to work. thanks. I thought VLC was more of a viewer. What we want is to have a server outside the firewall and take a portable lap top to stream live games.

Can VLC accept incoming streams and retransmit them to web viewers?

All right, I can answer this myself. Sooo bloody simple. All you need is VLC to create the SDP file and copy it over to Darwins streaming Server. And your done. Why wouldn't VLC make it easy to do like MAC does. Bloody waste of my time.

Trax
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Trax » 04 Mar 2007 21:36

As you said indeed you create the .sdp file locally and put it on the DSS server. Various improvements have been made in the development/nightly builds to create proper sdp files.

VLC server itself cannot do RTSP-TCP streaming yet (clients do support RTSP-TCP), so for that you can rely on a DSS server.

VLC can accept livestreaming as input and "relay" that as a streaming server or even transcode realtime and turn it into some other stream type.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 05 Mar 2007 22:45

But this uses VLC as the streaming server and or relay and I don't think this is what (s)he wanted to do.

gcooper
New Cone
New Cone

I'm lost again, sdp creation.

Postby gcooper » 06 Mar 2007 04:37

I can't figure out how to create a sdp file for my camra. I can make it work for my movie files. but nothing will create for my camra test.

call "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" dshow:// :dshow-vdev="Logitech QuickCam Pro 5000" :dshow-adev="" :dshow-size="" :sout=#transcode{vcodec=DIV1,vb=1024,scale=1}:duplicate{dst=std{access=rtp,mux=ts,dst=192.168.22.182:1234}}

where do I insert the
sdp="file://D:/movie/externel.sdp"
command.

Trax
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Trax » 06 Mar 2007 08:52

You don't use std but the rtp module (and no need for the duplicate either) so something like this..

:sout=#transcode{vcodec=DIV1,vb=1024,scale=1}:rtp{port-video=1240,dst=192.168.22.182,ttl=64,sdp="file:///test.sdp"}

Then place the .sdp file on DSS

gcooper
New Cone
New Cone

My commands for a>ogitech QuickCam

Postby gcooper » 07 Mar 2007 02:08

For those that are interested. I was able to use the command line to connect from a windows box to a unix box using the following commands. I posted them on my blog.

Thanks for everyones help. The information let me finish this project.

http://www.publishingwriting.net/articl ... article=40

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”