MP4 and others suddenly wont play - how to troubleshoot

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
biped
New Cone
New Cone

MP4 and others suddenly wont play - how to troubleshoot

Postby biped » 21 Aug 2022 19:24

I can only think that something in a Windows 10 update has changed VLC performance but in the last 2 weeks I notice that more than half the MP4's I have wont play any more - and seemingly other formats - avi and wmv. Blank screens and sometimes VLC crashes. Quite a few of these are my own videos encoded with handbrake - but they all worked perfectly before. This applies not only to one computer - so sound as if it might not be a graphic card driver issue. I tried changing through all the 'output' options, instead of automatic and got no video to show up - a few showed just green screen and others just flickered the window size with blank content during play.

I uninstalled and reinstalled VLC -but no go.

I don't have many thoughts of how to troubleshoot - so appreciate any suggestions of what to try.

thanks

biped
New Cone
New Cone

Re: MP4 and others suddenly wont play - how to troubleshoot

Postby biped » 21 Aug 2022 19:40

Adding to the above - just removed VLC player again and tried some of the MP4 vids with Windows Media player and it too wont play them - says lacking a codec. They play in Premiere and also I notice they all seem to work fine in Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

Logical question is - what is shared between Window Media player and VLC , which is not with the others ?

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 22 Aug 2022 09:44

tried some of the MP4 vids with Windows Media player and it too wont play them - says lacking a codec
Logical question is - what is shared between Window Media player and VLC , which is not with the others ?

Nothing is shared, VLC is using its own built in codecs. That seems to be a Windows driver issue.
Try another video output module:
http://wiki.videolan.org/WindowsFAQ-2.0 ... _output.3F

You can also try with and without hardware acceleration.

PRIDEMASTER101
New Cone
New Cone

Postby PRIDEMASTER101 » 12 Dec 2023 01:48

THIS IS MY HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE ENVIRONMENT. WIN. 10 PRO 64BIT, I RUN AVAST ANTIVIRUS. I HAVE AN INTEL i7 3770. 16GIB DDR3. ATI AMD RADEON HD 5450 IGB MADE FOR ASUS WITH AN CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER Z. I tried this on vlc version 3.0.20 windows media, mpc-hc. I tried all of the outputs available in vlc. and I have had all the same problems with mp4, mkv, flv(hit or miss), not working blank or green screen. avi and mpg ran with no problems. I uninstalled and reinstalled vlc that was a no go, I then tried installing the k-lite codec pack-1794_mega with the mpc-hc player no go with that one either. So at wits end I uninstalled VLC 3.0 and installed VLC 2.0 and it runs everything but mkv files just fine. I am not sure what this means but i hope it helps figure this out.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”