Blu-Ray Support

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
usman4864
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Blu-Ray Support

Postby usman4864 » 21 Feb 2016 20:51

pls provide me the blue ray support file links.

rew32
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rew32 » 24 Feb 2016 05:02

I tried it and it doesn't work.

I installed the 64 bit version of VLC in C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC

I put the 64 bit version of libaacs.dll in the same directory.

I put the KEYDB.cfg file in C:\Users\my-name\AppData\Roaming\aacs

When I try to run a blu-ray from disc I get the usual error messages:

Blu-ray error:
No valid processing key found in AACS config file.
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///E:/'. Check the log for details.

As is typical of applications it tells me to check the log file without telling me where the log file is stored.

JeffNME
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Blu-Ray Support, no log file!

Postby JeffNME » 07 Mar 2016 01:16

I am running Win7 Pro 64bit and can't watch blurays at all. :-(
VLC 64bit (ver 2.2.2) won't play play bluray discs and the error message "Your input can't be opened: VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///F:/'. Check the log for details."
There is no "vlc-log.txt" in the program's directory, so I have no idea where to look, or how to fix this.

djp2016
New Cone
New Cone

Postby djp2016 » 11 Mar 2016 16:02

I've spent days trying to sort this out....and yes I kept getting the "input" error :-(
Doh!....needed to click the blu-ray radio button rather than leaving the default DVD selection...Doh!

TygerRaven
New Cone
New Cone

Postby TygerRaven » 25 Mar 2016 00:44

Hi, ok, I'm hoping y'all can help me out, here. I'm running Windows 10, I've got an external Blu-ray disc drive for my Dell laptop. I contacted Best Buy where I purchased both items and it was to no avail. They said to contact VLC. So, here I am and I'm praying it works. Every time that I've tried to play a Blu-ray movie I keep getting this message:
Blu-ray error:
This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for AACS decoding, and your system does not have it.
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///D:/'. Check the log for details.

Can anyone help me to remedy this situation? I am not a genius when it comes to coding, calling me a novice would be way too kind and a massive exaggeration. Thank you. :)

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 25 Mar 2016 11:30

This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for AACS decoding, and your system does not have it.
Read the first post of this thread...

dbldrew
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dbldrew » 10 Apr 2016 19:25

Read the first post of this thread...
the first post that has a link to the files needed to download is a dead link.. now what?

Mauser
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.2.2
Operating System: Windoze

Postby Mauser » 15 Apr 2016 15:19

Late to the party here, but thought I would just post this FYI: I had no problems at all enabling Blu-ray support on both W7 and W10 machines (all running 32 bit VLC (ProgramFiles (x86), ver 2.2.2). I used the downloads and instructions at http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/ . Note that the location for the Keys database is now specified as: Windows: put it in C:\ProgramData\aacs\ - this location is different than all the posts in this old thread. I used this location and it works.

One extra bit of information - I do have DVDFab software installed on all my machines, which includes Passkey (some folks have said they needed that software to make playback work). I have no idea if that is what makes mine work or not.

I do have one remaining problem with both commercial Blu-ray and AVCHD discs - no menu support. I will search other threads about this before I belabor it here (I did see a report on the support pages that this problem had been fixed, but no mention there about what the fix was or what versions). These discs play when opened without menus turned on, but will not play at all if the menus are enabled. I installed the 64 bit VLC with similar results.

matchboximpala
New Cone
New Cone

Postby matchboximpala » 16 Apr 2016 18:33

I am having the same issue, with the same error message. I have Windows 10, installed the 64-bit VLC player. I put the libaacs.dll file in the VLC folder, along with vlc.exe and put the KEYDB.cfg file in C:\ProgramData\aacs\ as instructed.

I had to create the aacs folder to do that.

Restarted my computer. Still getting the error message.

Any suggestions?

Mauser
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.2.2
Operating System: Windoze

Postby Mauser » 16 Apr 2016 19:03

I am having the same issue, with the same error message. I have Windows 10, installed the 64-bit VLC player. I put the libaacs.dll file in the VLC folder, along with vlc.exe and put the KEYDB.cfg file in C:\ProgramData\aacs\ as instructed.

I had to create the aacs folder to do that.

Restarted my computer. Still getting the error message.

Any suggestions?
When you say "the same error message", what specific message was that, the one from TygerRaven's post?
Was your VLC folder in "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)"? Do you have both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions installed?

MadMax1412
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MadMax1412 » 17 Apr 2016 10:43

I've followed the instructions at http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/ and put the keys database into C:\ProgramData\aacs. I've also put it into C:\Users\Max\AppData\Roaming\aacs because others earlier in the thread said to.

I've put the libaacs.dll file into C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC (I'm running Win 10 64 bit).

The error I'm getting is This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for BD+ decoding, and your system does not have it.

From what I've come across in searching is that BD+ is another level of encryption and there's nothing that can be done. Is this true?

Grimalken
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Grimalken » 23 May 2016 01:04

Late to the party here, but thought I would just post this FYI: I had no problems at all enabling Blu-ray support on both W7 and W10 machines (all running 32 bit VLC (ProgramFiles (x86), ver 2.2.2). I used the downloads and instructions at http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/ . Note that the location for the Keys database is now specified as: Windows: put it in C:\ProgramData\aacs\ - this location is different than all the posts in this old thread. I used this location and it works.

One extra bit of information - I do have DVDFab software installed on all my machines, which includes Passkey (some folks have said they needed that software to make playback work). I have no idea if that is what makes mine work or not.

I do have one remaining problem with both commercial Blu-ray and AVCHD discs - no menu support. I will search other threads about this before I belabor it here (I did see a report on the support pages that this problem had been fixed, but no mention there about what the fix was or what versions). These discs play when opened without menus turned on, but will not play at all if the menus are enabled. I installed the 64 bit VLC with similar results.
I too was getting the error "This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for AACS decoding, and your system does not have it."

I followed your instructions and it worked great for me.

I'm using Windows 10. The AACS directory did not exist, so I had to create new in the "C:\ProgramData\" location, and then copy/pasted keydb.cfg file into it. Then I copy/pasted libaacs.dll into the root directory for "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC" I did bot reboot or anything, and the blue-ray disk played perfectly.

Chaz
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Chaz » 15 Jun 2016 19:12

I'm running Win10 and the 64bit 2.2.4 VLC player. I did the all bits for the aacs library data, so the Blu-Ray movie starts to play in VLC, however the audio is extremely choppy. It only plays a little blurp of sound once every 2 seconds or so.

I've tried it with the 32bit version and the 64bit version. I have also installed the K-Lite basic codec pack v.1215 and no change in to the audio problem. I've tried setting the output to different methods in the VLC preferences too, and again it makes no difference. Just to be sure it wasn't my external player I installed the Power DVD trial and it played the disc without any problems.

I want to use VLC to play back my Blu-Rays so that I can use it with the Virtual Desktop app on my Oculus CV1 VR HMD. Power DVD won't work with Virtual Desktop for reasons various, and even if it did I'm not about to pay more money for the player software than I did for the actual hardware.

The Blu-Ray I've been trying to play is Mad Max: Fury Road, just for your info.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Stile777
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Stile777 » 02 Aug 2016 03:33

Ok I did the 2 download files for the correct version (64) and is still doesn't work. This is a bran new machine so everything is new.
I could use some help its 2.2.4 Weatherwax.

markhamron
New Cone
New Cone

Postby markhamron » 13 Aug 2016 18:54

I also have the same problem
I have VLC 2.2.4 weatherwax player on a windows 10 computer.
When I check for updates it says I have the latest
When I try to open a blu-ray disc and play I get this message:
"This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for AACS decoding, and your system does not have it."
I copied the libaacs.dll into C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC
I copied the KEYDB.cfg file into C:\ProgramData\aacs (I created the aacs folder)
I rebooted the computer
I still get the "This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for AACS decoding, and your system does not have it." error message

WinfridT
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby WinfridT » 13 Aug 2016 21:20

If you install e.g. DVDFab Passkey (http://de.dvdfab.cn/passkey-for-blu-ray.htm) you should be able to play at least the video-files contained in
BDMV/STREAM . I can't tell you what features of vlc with version 2.2.4 are available, because I am testing with vlc 3.0.0-git
(you should install this version (3.0.0) only for testing, because this version still has some bugs).
I succeeded until now in playing a BluRay with HDMV titles, but not with BD-J titles.

Note: I don't know, if the Lite version of DVDFab Passkey can handle your requirements.
Don't forget to unclick the "no BluRay Menu" box.

JEFromCanada
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby JEFromCanada » 20 Aug 2016 17:43

Check out this YouTube video. I got VLC to play Blu-ray after watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotatio ... HdZWMb3qZk

I'm running Windows 7. Keep in mind that the instructions provided by http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/ apply to Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 only.

JEFromCanada
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby JEFromCanada » 25 Sep 2016 01:30

Of course, it should be noted that only Blu-ray discs with one movie will play in VLC. Because VLC doesn't use Blu-ray menus, discs with more than one movie per disc (i.e. Mill Creek's double feature of Happy Birthday to Me and When a Stranger Calls) won't play in VLC.

supernintendo64
New Cone
New Cone

Postby supernintendo64 » 01 Oct 2016 03:35

I cannot get Blu-Ray to play at all. I downloaded the aacs stuff and put it all in the correct directories and it still refuses to work. I keep getting the same stupid "This disc needs the AACS library and your system doesn't have it" error message. I'm running Windows 10 and the version of VLC I'm using is 2.2.4 btw.

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it working. It turns out that the 64-bit version of the DLL doesn't work for some reason. Download the 32-bit version instead.

DJX
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: Git
Operating System: Windows

Postby DJX » 19 Oct 2016 19:12

I cannot get Blu-Ray to play at all. I downloaded the aacs stuff and put it all in the correct directories and it still refuses to work. I keep getting the same stupid "This disc needs the AACS library and your system doesn't have it" error message. I'm running Windows 10 and the version of VLC I'm using is 2.2.4 btw.

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it working. It turns out that the 64-bit version of the DLL doesn't work for some reason. Download the 32-bit version instead.
If you are using the 32-bit version of VLC then you need the 32-bit AACS library.
If you are using the 64-bit version of VLC then you need the 64-bit AACS library.

Drubthob
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Drubthob » 15 Nov 2016 23:25

Greetings, I am new to grp..
Win 7 HP 64 bit Toshiba Satellite.

I have applied AACS to my 2.2.4 install w/latest KEYDB.CFG to %user%\appdate\AACS & Programdata\AACS

I have also appplied latest libaacs.dll to 2.2.4 vlc.exe folder - Program files\Videolan\VLC folder.

I have enabled the Bluray radio button to point to the onboard Bluray disc player through VLC/Open disc app.

My error message is:

Blu-ray error:
No valid processing key found in AACS config file.
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///D:/'. Check the log for details.

I cannot find a log.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
DW

DJX
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: Git
Operating System: Windows

Postby DJX » 15 Nov 2016 23:39

The database doesn't have a decryption key for your disc.
Nothing you can do.

WinfridT
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby WinfridT » 15 Nov 2016 23:48

You can install http://www.dvdfab.cn/passkey-lite.htm and
vlc-3.0.0 from http://nightlies.videolan.org
At least during the testing period for the registered product you have full access to blurays.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 27 Dec 2016 11:18

Of course, it should be noted that only Blu-ray discs with one movie will play in VLC. Because VLC doesn't use Blu-ray menus, discs with more than one movie per disc (i.e. Mill Creek's double feature of Happy Birthday to Me and When a Stranger Calls) won't play in VLC.
Nope, you just need to activate the menus.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

bmaz121
New Cone
New Cone

VLC 2.2.4 64 bit?

Postby bmaz121 » 05 Jan 2017 06:42

Hi I originally downloaded the AACS CFG file and VLC played the blue ray. However after downloading the the AACS update being that VLC doesn't play blue ray anymore, Ran it and it still does not play blue ray. I used another player and they play. So what's the problem with VLC? The error message is"no valid processing key found in AACS config file". Windows 10 64

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”