Audio device issues with VLC

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Brazen
New Cone
New Cone

Audio device issues with VLC

Postby Brazen » 04 Oct 2020 19:52

I am using version 3.0.11 though this is an issue that has appeared in previous versions. I have also searched for a solution and not found one. Also actually reporting this as a bug does not appear very easy to do. Otherwise I would have done so already. And perhaps this issue is resolved somewhere that I have not found. This applies to video files, I have not tested with audio only files.
However, the issue is that when switching audio sources I won't get any sound. So in switching from my speakers to my headset VLC will no longer play any audio. I can sort of fix this by turning the audio track off and on again or switching the source manually in VLC. But none of this worked on the last file a .mkv file I was trying to listen to. As I mentioned earlier, this seems to be .mkv files and I have not had a chance to test it on any other types of files. In case it will help I am using a Sound Blaster V sound card and my headset is a Corsair VOID Pro Wireless headset. I will continue looking to see if this issue has been solved anywhere else.

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Re: Audio device issues with VLC

Postby Hitchhiker » 05 Oct 2020 14:38

Are your headphones detected in the Audio ---> Audio device setting? If not, do the following.

Right click the speaker icon in systray and click "Playback devices". Assuming your headphones are visible click to select and then click the Properties button. In the next menu click the Advanced tab and checkmark the option "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" and "Give exclusive mode applications priority". Apply/ OK.

Check in vlc if the headphones are now visible in the Audio menu.

Brazen
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Brazen » 05 Oct 2020 15:19

Yes, though since this is Windows 10 I do have to switch it manually by clicking the speaker icon in the notification area and picking the headset or speakers from the menu that pops up. VLC also detects all the audio devices. Though normally I have the "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" option off. So I will try turning that back on and seeing if it makes a difference. I also forgot to mention that this issue happens with DVDs as well.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 05 Oct 2020 21:08

Are you using S/PDIF or HDMI pass-through in one device? It's kinda hard to guess what is going wrong without logs.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Brazen
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Brazen » 06 Oct 2020 00:36

No I am not using SPDIF or HDMI. I am using standard Audio output for my speakers and the headset uses a wireless USB adapter. Well I was attempting to get logs for you. But now it suddenly works correctly. I do know that the Corsair headset takes a second to start transmitting audio. But I still think there is something buggy going on.

Brazen
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Brazen » 10 Oct 2020 02:54

Code: Select all

-- logger module started -- main: one instance mode ENABLED mmdevice error: cannot get selected device {0.0.0.00000000}.{88914c78-3d03-4948-bf3a-2c7da425db9e} (error 0x80070490) mmdevice error: cannot get device identifier (error 0x80070490) main: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface. main: Status file authenticated main error: too low audio sample frequency (0) main error: failed to create audio output avcodec: Using D3D11VA (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660, vendor 10de(NVIDIA), device 2184, revision a1) for hardware decoding main error: buffer deadlock prevented main error: Timestamp conversion failed for 8133001: no reference clock main error: Could not convert timestamp 0 for FFmpeg direct3d11 error: SetThumbNailClip failed: 0x800706f4 -- logger module stopped --
I am not sure if this is the right way to paste it. I could not find away to upload the text file. I took out a bunch of repeating errors (main error: failed to create audio output
main error: module not functional)

Brazen
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Brazen » 10 Oct 2020 03:16

After messing around a bit. I found that turning on "Windows Sonic for Headphones" Somehow fixed the issue. From a file that I was not getting any audio from suddenly I was. Worked on a DVD as well. As soon as this feature was turned off, so was the audio.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”