[Solved] Setting default audio output device via VLC Command Line doesn't take.

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
ninbura
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

[Solved] Setting default audio output device via VLC Command Line doesn't take.

Postby ninbura » 09 Sep 2020 02:01

I've built a PowerShell script that opens a dshow device input via VLC Command Line so that I don't have to manually change a bunch of settings like I did with VLC GUI every time:

Code: Select all

vlc ` dshow:// ` :dshow-vdev="Game Capture HD60 Pro (Video) (`#01)" ` :dshow-adev="Game Capture HD60 Pro (Audio) (`#01)" ` :dshow-aspect-ratio=16\:9 ` :dshow-chroma= ` :dshow-fps=0 ` :no-dshow-config ` :no-dshow-tuner ` :dshow-tuner-channel=0 ` :dshow-tuner-frequency=0 ` :dshow-tuner-country=0 ` :dshow-tuner-standard=0 ` :dshow-tuner-input=0 ` :dshow-video-input=-1 ` :dshow-video-output=-1 ` :dshow-audio-input=-1 ` :dshow-audio-output=-1 ` :dshow-amtuner-mode=1 ` :dshow-audio-channels=0 ` :dshow-audio-samplerate=48000 ` :dshow-audio-bitspersample=16 ` :live-caching=300 ` --aout=waveout ` --waveout-audio-device="Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High De (`$1, `$ffff)"

However it would seem that these options won't take:

--aout=waveout --waveout-audio-device="Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High De (`$1, `$ffff)"

As far as I can tell that is the correct name for the audio device as seen via the GUI:

But the log just says:

waveout warning: configured audio device 'Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High De ($1, $ffff)' not available, using default instead

When I switch the device manually via the GUI the log reads:

waveout debug: Drivername: Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High De

I've tried using just "Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High De" as the value after --waveout-audio-device= but throws the same warning as it does when trying "Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High De (`$1, `$ffff)", plus I read a post that claimed you needed to include the ($x, $x) value at the end of the device call here:
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=128042

Any ideas?

VLC version - 3.0.8
Last edited by ninbura on 09 Sep 2020 02:19, edited 1 time in total.

ninbura
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Setting default audio output device via VLC Command Line doesn't take.

Postby ninbura » 09 Sep 2020 02:19

After hours of troubleshooting and then finally just posting on the forums I found the issue, a space:

--waveout-audio-device="Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High De (`$1, `$ffff)" vs --waveout-audio-device="Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High De (`$1,`$ffff)"

Note that the backticks are escape characters as Windows Powershell uses the dollar sign for variables.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”