DTS 5.1 decoded on Optical SPDIF for Windows & Android VLC

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
user_123
New Cone
New Cone

DTS 5.1 decoded on Optical SPDIF for Windows & Android VLC

Postby user_123 » 29 Jul 2020 23:19

Can VLC send the decoded DTS in LPCM 5.1 surround bitstream to the optical SPDIF output?

This is for my dumb 5.1 soundbar that can decode AC-3 but cannot handle DTS. It only has SPDIF input. It claimed that it will handle surround LPCM bitstream. I have a large DTS HD music collection that I don’t want to convert all to AC-3. Also I want to play HD music audio.
This is for both Android and Windows VLC. The Android VLC has 2 audio settings, decoded or passthrough. It seemed the decoded only comes in 2.0 stereo. I couldn’t find any setting to change to 5.1 surround. I am using an Android media box that has SPDIF output to run VLC on Google TV OS. This would be the simplest if it works.

Alternately, I can run Windows VLC on my desktop computer that has SPDIF. If this works, I can buy a USB to SPDIF converter for $20 to use it with my laptop. What is the VLC audio preference setting to get LPCM 5.1 stream on SPDIF? DirectX output? This is for disabling DTS passthrough as I want DTS 5.1 decoded. But all I am getting is 2.0 over SPDIF.

Does it handle DTS HD on SPDIF? Does it handle 24 bit HD Audio Music. I don’t want to use HDMI output to my LG TV HDMI arc and pass through SPDIF to the soundbar. I know my LG TV will passthrough raw AC-3 and DTS correctly, but I am not sure it passes LPCM 5.1 directly as it shows up as 2.0 when I use my old SG FAT media player that has HDMI LPCM muiti-chan surround output.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: DTS 5.1 decoded on Optical SPDIF for Windows & Android VLC

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 30 Jul 2020 20:22

No. VLC can output digitally over S/PDIF, but it will not transcode.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”