Playing video files of a NAS

*nix specific usage questions
ajohn
New Cone
New Cone

Playing video files of a NAS

Postby ajohn » 22 May 2011 13:16

I've only just installed VLC for the first time following a suggestion from some one. Impressed. :D

I installed off packman for suse 11.4 running kde. Sound didn't work but have sorted that out. I searched the forum for info on playing video files off a nas and thought I had found a solution. Seems not.

I've set up with an smb:// address my own user name and password on the nas and can now navigate to it and view files. If I navigate to the files via VLC and click on one I get
"You can only select local files"

If I launch from the nas I get
"Your input can't be opened: VLC is unable to open the MRL 'smb://192....................................avi'. Check the log for details."

Which brings up another problem. As I couldn't search a vlc log file I set logging to /home/john/Desktop/VLC.log. Also tried navigating to it to set it up but still no log file.

:?:

John

VLC 1.1.9 Compiled by packman 12apr 2011
-
John

OpenSuse 11.4 KDE 4.6.0 - 6

ajohn
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Playing video files of a NAS

Postby ajohn » 22 May 2011 15:13

One further bit of information from the nas log. It looks like VLC is trying to access the nas as [anonymous] rather than use the user name I have given it.

Also another question. When changing setting in VLC I have seen a comment about closing and restarting it. I have been but is this needed?
John

ajohn
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ajohn » 24 May 2011 10:27

I was hoping for some help on this but if VLC should work in situations where say an avi is launched when it's actually on a local server the problems seem to be purely down to kde 4.6.0. I had connected to the server using dolphin but later tried setting up and using samba for access. Same problems.

Also many other programs have problems with files on the nas. The only one that nearly works is kwrite. This will read/write start from a file click launch just as it does on a local disc but if a file on the nas is modified and saved it doesn't generate a back up file.

As things stand I don't even know if VLC should work or does work on any other kde setups. Also would like to find some info in getting things like the log file to work.
John

k9wkj
New Cone
New Cone

Postby k9wkj » 24 May 2011 19:38

since your using linux
and most assuredly the NAS does NFS
the best solution for any type of file/media
is NFS
setup the NAS to export a NFS share
and your desktop to auto mount the share
it will look like a local filesystem and act like one as well
using samba for anything you dont have to is a pain

ajohn
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ajohn » 27 May 2011 21:24

Thanks. That has got it up and running with click launch or open with while files are on the nas.

No way can I save files from a none strict kde application onto the nas though which spoils things some what. I'm near 100% sure this is down to kde and it's allow smb/http etc which has to be placed in an applications dot desktop file. The correct entries are there but kde is taking no notice.
John

ajohn
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ajohn » 27 May 2011 21:27

Whoops forgot to mention. Setting up nfs on the nas allowed kde's automount to work. It doesn't if CIF is set up with dolphin,

Curiously I strongly suspect that the file transfers are using CIF even though NFS got it working.
John

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”