DVD ISOs Play on one Computer not the other.

*nix specific usage questions
HappyPaul
New Cone
New Cone

DVD ISOs Play on one Computer not the other.

Postby HappyPaul » 11 Jul 2009 23:24

Hello:

Ever since I discovered it was capable of doing so, I've used VLC Media Player to play ISO images of DVDs. I have a Dell mini 9 running Ubuntu 9.04 with VLC version 0.9.9a and it does this perfectly. On the other hand, I've just built a PC based around an AMD 64 bit processor and I'm running the same version of Ubuntu and VLC and I've got problems. Generally, VLC will open the ISO, the menu will be displayed, I click on "Play Movie", the movie will begin playing, then it will freeze up about 10 seconds in. Oddly, a few of my DVD images will play successfully, a few others freeze up right at the Menu stage.

Any suggestions as to which direction I could start looking in to find a solution?

Thank you

Paul

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: DVD ISOs Play on one Computer not the other.

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 12 Jul 2009 15:00

Install libdvdcss?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

HappyPaul
New Cone
New Cone

Postby HappyPaul » 13 Jul 2009 15:38

Hello:

Fixed it!

Since the only difference between the two systems was in their hardware, I chose to look in that direction. I remembered that while I was installing Ubuntu, there had been an issue with ACPI support on the Motherboard, so I had disabled ACPI support in the BIOS. Not expecting much, I re-enabled ACPI support. Voila! Suddenly VLC was happily playing ISO images again. Weird eh? Who would expect a Power Management setting to affect playback on a Media Player? I'll leave it to Bigger Brains than mine to figure out why this should be so. Hopefully, my experience will help Future Generations.

Paul

tg_drifter
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tg_drifter » 14 Jul 2009 11:21

Hello:

Fixed it!

Since the only difference between the two systems was in their hardware, I chose to look in that direction. I remembered that while I was installing Ubuntu, there had been an issue with ACPI support on the Motherboard, so I had disabled ACPI support in the BIOS. Not expecting much, I re-enabled ACPI support. Voila! Suddenly VLC was happily playing ISO images again. Weird eh? Who would expect a Power Management setting to affect playback on a Media Player? I'll leave it to Bigger Brains than mine to figure out why this should be so. Hopefully, my experience will help Future Generations.

Paul

Hmmm, weird indeed. I have the same problem with some DVD isos. Some would play perfectly while others will have the exact symptoms that you described. I use acetoneiso for creating iso images of my DVD collection.
I'll give your solution a try. (It's unbelievable how many times I've made changes to bios settings, but ACPI was the last thing I would care about!!)

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”