VLC 9.2 Opensuse and SMB

*nix specific usage questions
x11nt4
New Cone
New Cone

VLC 9.2 Opensuse and SMB

Postby x11nt4 » 20 Sep 2008 17:41

I am trying Opensuse 11 to see how it will work to replace my 64 bit version of XP for one machine. I am trying to get VLC to play a video through my network. The server is Windows Server 2003. I can access my video and music files just fine through Suse. However, when I select "play video with VLC" , VLC takes about 2 min to open. When it does finally open there is nothing in the window. I check the msg box and find this little nugget: no access module matched "smb" Now, this VLC 9.2 was loaded through YaST from Suse's own updates. I have searched for this error msg on here and a general google search before posting this question. So I am thinking the module is either disabled or not installed. Would this be a correct assumption and if so, how do I go about installing/enabling this? I have a Mac running Leopard 10.5.5 and have no problems using VLC through the mac's version of SMB.

RedDwarf69
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC 9.2 Opensuse and SMB

Postby RedDwarf69 » 20 Sep 2008 19:00

What
LC_ALL=C vlc --no-plugins-cache --list | grep access_
outputs?

vlc-0.9.2-0.pm.2 has access_smb available.

dimstar
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: VLC 9.2 Opensuse and SMB

Postby dimstar » 22 Sep 2008 09:29

VLC packages from our repositories support SMB access.

Make sure you have the latest version 0.9.2-8.2 (on openSUSE 11.0). Please be aware that we do not have any influence on packaging parameters of the PM repository.. but we (and thus YOU) have an influence on the official ones in the vlc repo.

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”