Build VLC errors

*nix specific usage questions
hce
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Build VLC errors

Postby hce » 30 Jun 2008 03:16

Hi,

I tried to build a VLC command line player from vlc-0.8.6h and its related libraries in CentOS 5.2, but I've got various errors. I was running following configurations for ffmpeg and vlc, the ffmpeg was the latest version from svn:

ffmpeg$ ./configure --prefix=/home/project/work/Tools/Media/Ffmpeg/Install --enable-gpl --enable-postproc --disable-swscale --disable-ffplay --disable-ffserver --enable-pthreads

vlc$ ./configure --enable-ffmpeg --with-ffmpeg-tree=/home/project/work/Tools/Media/Ffmpeg/Install/ --enable-faad --with-faad-tree=/home/project/work/Tools/Media/Faad2/Install/ --with-ffmpeg-zlib --disable-gui --disable-wxwidgets --disable-skins2 --disable-mad --disable-libmpeg2 --with-ffmpeg-mp3lame

After hacking the configure script, I resolved configure errors. Then I've got following errors from make:

vlc-0.8.6h$ make
:
/home/project/work/Tools/Media/Ffmpeg/ffmpeg/libavformat/libavformat.a(matroskadec.o): In function `matroska_decode_buffer':
/home/project/work/Tools/Media/Ffmpeg/ffmpeg/libavformat/matroskadec.c:1023: undefined reference to `BZ2_bzDecompressInit'
/home/project/work/Tools/Media/Ffmpeg/ffmpeg/libavformat/matroskadec.c:1032: undefined reference to `BZ2_bzDecompress'
/home/project/work/Tools/Media/Ffmpeg/ffmpeg/libavformat/matroskadec.c:1035: undefined reference to `BZ2_bzDecompressEnd'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [vlc] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/project/work/Tools/Media/VLC/vlc-0.8.6h'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/project/work/Tools/Media/VLC/vlc-0.8.6h'

What was missing?

Thank you.

Jim

yohann.martineau
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Build VLC errors

Postby yohann.martineau » 30 Jun 2008 11:20

did you install libbz2-dev?

jong357
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jong357 » 09 Jul 2008 21:55

I've ran into this myself. Just another case of using too new of an SVN ffmpeg. Has nothing to do with not having bz2 development files on the system.

From what I've seen on these forums, 40% or so of all threads have to do with using a mis-matched SVN ffmpeg. I wish the VLC team would post the "recommended" version of FFMPEG to use with which VLC version. Would save everyone alot of headache.

oscord
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby oscord » 09 Jul 2008 22:12

jong357:
Do you know how to avoid this matroska problem?

Thanks.

xtophe
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby xtophe » 10 Jul 2008 18:06

As pointed by jong357 it's a ffmpeg preoblem and not a matroska problem

in your configure use PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/where your ffmpeg svn tree is/ rather than --with-ffmpeg-tree
Xtophe

xtophe
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby xtophe » 10 Jul 2008 18:07

or uninstall libbz2-dev and recompile ffmpeg
Xtophe

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”