video problem

*nix specific usage questions
any007
New Cone
New Cone

video problem

Postby any007 » 25 Nov 2007 20:41

Hi there.
I've recently installed SuSE 10.3 (no upgrade) and got a problem with vlc - it refuses to display the video content, though the sound is still there. I mean you can "hear" the .avi or .wmv files, but not "see" them, you get a nice blue background instead. Previously I had SuSE 10.1 and it worked just fine. I used the same official repository for installation in both cases. Besides, it turned out to be a problem of all my video players, but I could fix this in mplayer like that, in console: mplayer -vo x11 001.avi.
well, this "-vo x11" must be added, or it won't work. I mean, this output option is now a problem of the whole system and I have no idea how to fix this. Does anybody have experience with things like that in vlc, I kinda like it more than mplayer or sth else. Any help would be much appreciated.

dimstar
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: video problem

Postby dimstar » 26 Nov 2007 12:14

Try to set the video output module to something different in VLC (try X11, as that works for you in mplayer).

-> Settings, Preferences, Video, Output Module, select 'Advanced' and choose your prefered output method. This could help you in this case.

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”