Installing vlc on ubuntu 6.06LTS offline PC? How??

*nix specific usage questions
abrakatabra
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: win2000pro ubuntu804

Installing vlc on ubuntu 6.06LTS offline PC? How??

Postby abrakatabra » 06 Sep 2007 00:00

My questions are:

1) is there any version of vlc contained in that original ubuntu 6.06 LTS cd and how can I install it. If I can get it installed will it be sufficient to play dvds or I will have to install some codecs, libraries or "regionset"s? where from and how?

2) If there is no vlc in the cd, can vlc be installed using files(which I can download with my window mchine)? I say install, having in mind a somehow easier windows type install. Are they .deb files? .gz files? .package files? Something else? Where can I find them and how can I anstall them(and any other prerequisites).

abrakatabra
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Installing vlc on ubuntu 6.06LTS offline PC? How??

Postby abrakatabra » 08 Sep 2007 12:28

The lack of reply shows me that either this "dependency hell" exists when installing vlc from .deb files manually without internet connection or everybody still are on vacation :)

For any people in my situation, I will try to use the following links to get over of my problem and time will tell if I can do it:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/graphics/vlc

http://cutlersoftware.com/ubuntuinstall ... e_manually

I will use Synaptic Manager and add cd as extra repository. Then try to install the packages god knows with which order...And I hope synaptic will tell which .deb packagesare missing

tsr
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby tsr » 11 Sep 2007 15:20

1) is there any version of vlc contained in that original ubuntu 6.06 LTS cd and how can I install it. If I can get it installed will it be sufficient to play dvds or I will have to install some codecs, libraries or "regionset"s? where from and how?
Frankly, I have no idea whether VLC is contained on the CD or not. If it were, then you'd be able to simply install it via synaptic, but lets assume its not on the CD.
On Ubuntu Dapper you don't have the option to add functionality to VLC by installing additional libraries. That means: Once you got it running, there won't be anything missing.
For any people in my situation, I will try to use the following links to get over of my problem and time will tell if I can do it
You're on the right track. Get all the .deb files for the packages listed on the VLC package page, transfer them to your Ubuntu machine, and install them.
You might run into dependency problems if you try to install the packages one by one via Synaptic (these problems are very easy to fix, tho). To avoid that, you could add the packages all at once using the "dpkg" command. For example, if you put all the necessary .deb files into a directory called "/home/user/vlcfiles" then you could open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i /home/user/vlcfiles/*

funman
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: All of them

Postby funman » 11 Sep 2007 17:39

vlc isn't on the cd

if you get it to work, can you paste here all the packages you needed to download ? (in case someone wants to do the same)

good luck!

abrakatabra
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby abrakatabra » 14 Sep 2007 16:35

if you get it to work, can you paste here all the packages you needed to download ? (in case someone wants to do the same)

good luck!
Thanks!!!

I downloaded and then double-clicked one by one every file listed at(the first page(home))
http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/graphics/vlc . Not Synaptic but some other application (in ubuntu 6.06) installed them. Whenever there was a dependency, if present in the above list then I installed it. If some .deb package was required as a dependency and wasn't there I searched http://packages.ubuntu.com

BUT, in the end there were mainly 2 files to install(hopefully):

wxlvc and vlc.

Whenever I double clicked wxvlc package it asked for vlc. And whenever I clicked vlc it asked for wxvlc .

DEAD END.

(There is a thread I've jjust found for this but I don't know if it works:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19316&p=60700&hili ... vlc#p60700 )

Is there a solution to this?

May be I can do whatever tsr says(I read that too late but thanks tsr):
You might run into dependency problems if you try to install the packages one by one via Synaptic (these problems are very easy to fix, tho). To avoid that, you could add the packages all at once using the "dpkg" command. For example, if you put all the necessary .deb files into a directory called "/home/user/vlcfiles" then you could open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all
sudo dpkg -i /home/user/vlcfiles/*
or is it too late after what I did...

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/aekcis/Un ... 9673529458

funman
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: All of them

Postby funman » 16 Sep 2007 03:32

you can do that, no problem

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”