error

*nix specific usage questions
nitish
New Cone
New Cone

error

Postby nitish » 27 Jun 2007 21:04

i am getting an error while installing the binaries in yast giving unable to create insatallation source saying unknown source type.kindly help me .

dimstar
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: error

Postby dimstar » 28 Jun 2007 09:49

Hi,

well, YaST tells me you're a SUSE / openSUSE user. What version are you using at the moment?
What installation source (repository path) did you add ?

Thank you for some more information to help me track it down.

DimStar

iXiMuon
New Cone
New Cone

Re: error

Postby iXiMuon » 29 Jun 2007 01:21

This might be the same problem I find myself having. I've been setting up a new system with openSuSE 10.2. I already have it running on another machine and had added the VLC installation source on there successfully. As the instructions on the SuSE download page say, add download.videolan.org as the server and /pub/videolan/vlc/SuSE/<SUSE Version> as the directory (10.2 in my case).

The problem I encountered is that (as of Wed. Jun 29 at approx. 2AM GMT-5) when trying to add the installation source on the new system it would probe the repository, start to download some of the repodata files then abort giving the following error:

Code: Select all

http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/SuSE/10.2 Unknown Error: Downloading metadata failed (is YUM source?) or user did not accept remote source. Aborting refresh.
I'm posting this here since it is my impression that the problem is the same. I would suspect that something is wrong with the repository, since as I said, it has worked for me recently on a different machine. However, it might be that something is messed up with my machine (although I'd find that hard to believe since it is a fresh install). So, any assistance would be much appreciated, and thank you in advance.

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”