Shoutcast TV stream support?

*nix specific usage questions
Checkka
New Cone
New Cone

Shoutcast TV stream support?

Postby Checkka » 13 Mar 2007 11:12

The latest release of VLC doesn't seem to support Shoutcast TV, but I've heard that the SVN's do. But when I check the nightlies.videolan.org, I can't seem to find a package for my Ubuntu Edgy installation.

Will one of those packages work with my Ubuntu Edgy installtion? Or will I have to compile from source? If so, which source would provide Shoutcast TV support and which source is compilable? I've tried various nightly sources always with a compile error in the code.

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 13 Mar 2007 22:40

Should be available in all 0.8.6 builds (and newer). Did you check in the "Services Discovery" sub-menu in the Playlist's "Manage" menu item?
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

Checkka
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Checkka » 14 Mar 2007 07:22

It currently supports finding the list of Shoutcast TV channels available, but it doesn't support receiving the Video portion of the channels. When they are played, I only receive sound.

trav1085
New Cone
New Cone

Postby trav1085 » 14 Apr 2007 04:53

Actually, VLC does support playing video on Shoutcast TV. Very few channels though. Many of the servers use the VP61 codec. This codec is closed source, although it has a free personal use license, since it is not open source VLC can't implement support for it. (I'm new to open source software so I don't know if everyone already knows about this).

I recommend WinAmp, just for Shoutcast TV. It supports VP61, I'm not sure if it is included or you have to download it from On2.net

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 14 Apr 2007 14:47

VP61 support was added in ffmpeg recently (hence it's now supported by VLC).
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”