wmv/wma encoding

*nix specific usage questions
PeeZee
New Cone
New Cone

wmv/wma encoding

Postby PeeZee » 25 Feb 2007 13:08

Hi all,

I've been happily streaming live tv through v4l and vlc to my laptop for ages, but now I'm trying to stream live tv to my pocket pc for a project at work.

The biggest problem is I'm only allowed to use windows media player on the pocket pc, so I'm forced to use wmv/wma codecs since those are about the only codecs pocket wmp can understand.

I've been searching through the forums here and through google on how to encode and stream wmv/wma with vlc, only to come up with the same answer everytime: "wma encoding is not supported on linux"

However, I recently found out that with the latest ffmpeg it IS possible to encode (certain versions of) wmv and wma.
After some testing I succeeded in streaming wmv/wma by compiling the latest SVN version of ffmpeg, grabbing live tv from my v4l device, encoding it in wmv/wma format, and piping output to vlc which then streams it over mms.

Now, this is a rather complicated process and not really error-proof, so I'm trying to simplify it.

From what I understand, vlc uses ffmpeg to do transcoding.
So my question is, how do I tell vlc to
1) use my self-compiled latest ffmpeg version which supports wmv/wma encoding
2) accept the wmv/wma parameters in my transcode statement and pass them on to ffmpeg

Thank you for any help you can offer

PeeZee
New Cone
New Cone

Postby PeeZee » 27 Feb 2007 13:18

So there is nobody out there trying to stream to pocket WMP ?

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”