Using VLC Mozilla plugin in Ubuntu

*nix specific usage questions
tommaisey
New Cone
New Cone

Using VLC Mozilla plugin in Ubuntu

Postby tommaisey » 06 Nov 2006 22:07

Hello all,

I'm a newbie to Linux, but I've been using VLC for some time in Windows. I installed it as soon as I got Ubuntu (Edgy Eft) up and running, because it's everything I love in a media player - lightweight and versatile.

I'd like to use VLC as a plugin to play media in Firefox 2.0, and I've got the package installed without a hitch: if I go to "about:plugins" in Firefox, VLC comes up as it should. However, when I click a link to a .mov file, or if a quicktime file is embedded in a page, Firefox presents me with a black screen with "(no video)" printed in white. VLC plays the movies fine if I download them, but I can't seem to view them from within the browser. Any help? Thanks very much in advance.

englishmen
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby englishmen » 11 Nov 2006 16:55

Same problem and conditions here, can anyone help?

Thanks

englishmen
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby englishmen » 14 Nov 2006 23:01

Is anyone able to supply any help at all with this problem?

Thanks

englishmen
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby englishmen » 14 Nov 2006 23:07

Thanks

englishmen
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby englishmen » 14 Nov 2006 23:07

Thanks

tqft
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Some ideas

Postby tqft » 14 Nov 2006 23:53

I can't check any of these at the moment as I am still rebuilding my machine - so I will hit this problem by the weekend.

Are any other media/movie plugins installed? If the default media plugin is pointing to the Ubuntu default player I don't think it does quicktiume/.mov. Just because vlc plugin is installed doesn't mean it will be first cab off the rank for playing.
Live forever apes

dnite
New Cone
New Cone

A workaround for now?

Postby dnite » 15 Nov 2006 07:48

I'm having the same problem. I don't like Totem, so I installed vlc and the mozilla plugin, and even manually removed libtotem* from the firefox/plugins folder, and I get just a black box with (no video) in the middle. The only work around I can suggest is to go to the firefox addons page and download MediaPlayerConnectivity. (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/446/). This is a pretty handy addon in general. It will replace any embeded media on a page with a black box and a play button. When you click play, it will open the media in an external player. For some reason, This works fine with vlc until we can get a fix hopefully soon.

tommaisey
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tommaisey » 15 Nov 2006 18:55

I'm not using any other media plugins - I uninstalled the default totem ones, as I thought they may be causing problems for vlc, but still nothing.

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”