how to properly install vlc to play mpeg wmv avii please hel

*nix specific usage questions
themadmanX

how to properly install vlc to play mpeg wmv avii please hel

Postby themadmanX » 19 Jul 2006 12:28

:(hay guys how are you iv been up all night long trying to install vlc and mplayer but dont really understand script writing but i managed to install totem but when i try to watch a video clip that requires mepeg or wmv thats it totem wont start need mor decoder im really fresh like just setup linux yesterday but i with a easy formulah i can get it i hope but this is cheaper than xp so here i am iv found a wasy to uninstall totem i heard it wasnt a good player and tried mplayer in terminal typed it in for install using yum it said no argument but i installed it twice please someone come to my aid please and help me through this problem with watching mpeg and wmv movies using v.l.c

Thanks the mad man

glargo
New Cone
New Cone

VLC install procedure

Postby glargo » 21 Jul 2006 21:22

Well... my friend.. if you know how install any package you only need download it... then read the INSTALL or README file inside and is all.....

Then if you want see wich are the parameters that you can used only type

>> ./configure --help

Normally you must type
./configure --options
make
make install

to VLC im did

./configure --enable-release --enable-sout --enable-httpd --enable-vlm --enable-livedotcom --enable-dvdread --enable-dvdnav --enable-smb --enable-dvbpsi --enable-v4l --enable-pvr --enable-libcdio --enable-libcddb --enable-cdda --enable-vcd --enable-dvb --enable-screen --enable-ogg --enable-mkv --enable-mod --enable-mpc --enable-mad --enable-ffmpeg --enable-faad --enable-twolame --enable-dts --enable-flac --enable-libmpeg2 --enable-vorbis --enable-speex --enable-theora --enable-png --enable-x264 --enable-cmml --enable-x11 --enable-xvideo --enable-glx --enable-opengl --enable-sdl --enable-freetype --enable-fribidi --enable-libxml2 --enable-ggi --enable-glide --enable-aa --enable-caca --enable-oss --enable-portaudio --enable-arts --enable-alsa --disable-skins2 --disable-wxwidgets --disable-slp --enable-lirc --with-livedotcom-tree=/usr/lib/live --with-ffmpeg-mp3lame --with-ffmpeg-faac --with-ffmpeg-dts --with-ffmpeg-zlib --with-x264-tree=/usr/local/include --disable-gnome --disable-gtk --disable-familiar --disable-fb --enable-esd --disable-qt --disable-wxwindows --enable-xosd --enable-mozilla --disable-kde --enable-mp4 --enable-dv --disable-skins --disable-basic-skins --with-ffmpef-tree=/usr/local/include/ffmpeg

make

make install

Remember must install ffmpeg first..... :)

PD: if you are very new in linux's use you can see any tutorials in the www to learn tu use it

Good Luck

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”