Please help make VLC works with Fedoro 5

*nix specific usage questions
Linux newbie

Please help make VLC works with Fedoro 5

Postby Linux newbie » 28 Jun 2006 13:48

Everytime I tried to play a video file (.wmv .avi .mpeg) or MP3, VLC would start up for less than 1 sec and then disappeared??

Here is how I installed VLC** in FC5 as root and I got no errors messages during the installation and VLC appers under Applications/Sound & Video

su -
yum -y install videolan-client

**VLC media player 0.8.5 (wxWidgets interface)

Thanks in advance for your help....VLC is my only player in XP and this is the first time trying out Linux/FC5 and I would very much like to make VLC my only player also.

fellow fc5 user

RE:Please help make VLC works with Fedoro 5

Postby fellow fc5 user » 02 Jul 2006 15:42

Have assumed that you have livna included in you repo's cause Im not sure if Extra's have so it probibly isn't that..

umm works fine for me and i did almost exactly the same as you but used vlc instead of videolan-client but i doubt that would be it...

perhaps try yum remove blah and reinstall it??

Postby Guest » 05 Jul 2006 04:40

Thanks.

I uninstalled/reinstalled at least 7/8 times already and still NO go?

yum -y remove videolan-client

I was told I should not MIX repos, so I only have dag/freshrpms/dries/newrpms(RPMforge).

Regards.

vulture
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vulture » 05 Jul 2006 23:33

I have the same problem, I installed VLC this way:

su

I thought everything was alright but when I tried to play a video file it didn't even start up and VLC was already closed.
I removed with yum remove videolan-client and then installed with

yum -y install vlc

Once the installation was finished, I found the same problem again...but I didn't give up yet; I removed and followed the steps explained in viewtopic.php?t=22472 , anyway the problem persists...

Once removed, I downloaded vlc-0.8.5.tar.gz...
There was no problem with
su
./configure --prefix=/usr -enable-wxwidgets
but when I run
make
After a lot of lines that seem to show everything of going fine, I get this message:

Making install in po
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/vulture/programas/video/vlc-0.8.5/po'
rm -f ca.gmo && : -c --statistics -o ca.gmo ca.po
mv: no se puede efectuar `stat' sobre «t-ca.gmo»: No existe el fichero o el directorio
make[2]: *** [ca.gmo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/vulture/programas/video/vlc-0.8.5/po'
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/vulture/programas/video/vlc-0.8.5'
make: *** [install] Error 2

I don't know what else to try...any hints?

cmang

Postby cmang » 08 Jul 2006 08:38

Hi. I had a problem with the same symptoms - VLC would start for a moment and then stop. Looking at the stdout from VLC, it became apparent that it was having trouble with audio output.

For me I believe the solution was as follows:

Fire up VLC without loading a video... then click Edit, Preferences and click the Advanced options checbox.

In the left column, click/expand Audio, click Output Modules and choose ALSA for the default audio output. Expand Output Modules and click ALSA (in the left column). For the "Alsa Device Name," select the first device that is Not "Default". Save the changes and close VLC, then see if i works.:)

vulture
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vulture » 11 Jul 2006 22:06

I click edit and nothing happens...I get this message when a clic Edit:

[00000323] main dialogs provider error: no dialogs provider module matched "any"
[00000250] skins2 interface error: no suitable dialogs provider found (hint: compile the wxWidgets plugin, and make sure it is loaded properly)

Linux newbie

Postby Linux newbie » 12 Jul 2006 12:11

In the left column, click/expand Audio, click Output Modules and choose ALSA for the default audio output. Expand Output Modules and click ALSA (in the left column). For the "Alsa Device Name," select the first device that is Not "Default". Save the changes and close VLC, then see if i works.:)
Yes, most of the problemsin FC/Linux are dut to ALSA and the above works!, however VLC now wouldn't play .wmv files (no pictures but got sounds!), .avi files no problems.

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”