problem with .mkv and other "HD vids"

*nix specific usage questions
Phlexonance

problem with .mkv and other "HD vids"

Postby Phlexonance » 08 Jun 2006 17:58

I have VLC 0.8.2 on Debian Sarge 3.1

1) When playing a .mkv (its 720p HDTV) it says "ps warning: garbage at input"
and "mkv warning: cannot find KaxSegment", and sometimes crashes after sysing that it cannot find the KaxSegment. When it doesnt crash, it plays neither sound nor video.

2) I wanted to watch this open source movie "Elephants Dream" and I wanted to watch it in good quality, and I extra chose the "AVI, MPEG4" version(1920 HD), knewing my vlc had problems with "H.264". But it gives me a lot of "main warning: late picture skipped" and "ffmpeg error: more than 5 seconds of late video -> dropping frame (computer too slow ?)"

Maybe my machine is really too slow for 1920 HD.
AMD Athlon XP 2600+, 1 gig of ram, 266MHz FSB, Nvidia Geforce 5900XT and an Audigy 2.

I have watched 720p HD without any problem (it was a xvid avi).

Phlexonance
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Phlexonance » 08 Jun 2006 18:01

I forgot to mention that

2) the 1920 HD file does play the sound without a problem and the video is the problem, its like a diashow, except on slow scenes with no action (maybe because of low bitrate?).

1) and vlc -list | grep mkv says
VLC media player 0.8.2-svn Janus
mkv Matroskastream Demuxer

Teetrinker
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: problem with .mkv and other "HD vids"

Postby Teetrinker » 08 Jun 2006 18:55

I have VLC 0.8.2 on Debian Sarge 3.1

1) When playing a .mkv (its 720p HDTV) it says "ps warning: garbage at input"
and "mkv warning: cannot find KaxSegment", and sometimes crashes after sysing that it cannot find the KaxSegment. When it doesnt crash, it plays neither sound nor video..
Is the right libmatroska version installed? Can you look for an newer VLC version for your distribution?
Take a look here: http://nightlies.videolan.org/

To 2: Maybe your PC is to slow?

Phlexonance
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Phlexonance » 08 Jun 2006 19:56

2) yes maybe my pc is too slow, but I'd like to know if it is or not. Aren't there minimum requirements for 1920 HD?

1) I have some matroska codec installed, if it is the right version I dont know.
I tried the vlc from nightlies but it didnt work, there were suddenly a lot of dependencies and no one of them could be installed.

Well anyway I had to reinstall my old VLC and it somehow skips less frames, I can actually see a moving picture on the 1920 HD but it still eats a lot of frames. The mkv is still the same after reinstall of vlc.

//Edit
FYI, with 1920 I meant 1080 HDTV, 1920 are just the lines^^

xtophe
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby xtophe » 09 Jun 2006 00:29

I think your config will be border line so you'll have to try.

To test HD stream, you need up to date soft. so you should forget sarge and move to sid.
Xtophe

Phlexonance
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Phlexonance » 09 Jun 2006 06:15

do you mean installint vlc and his dependencies from unstable or reinstalling the whole system from unstable?

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”