VLC log entries dbus_screensaver debug: cannot find service org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver

*nix specific usage questions
DAC324
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VLC log entries dbus_screensaver debug: cannot find service org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver

Postby DAC324 » 20 May 2021 12:11

Hello all,

while trying to set up VLC for receiving multicast RTSP streams, I created a log file using the following command:

Code: Select all

vlc -vvv --fullscreen --no-osd --extraintf=http:logger --verbose=2 --file-logging --logfile=vlc-log.txt rtsp://user:password\@server-ip:554/Streaming/channels/101
Among a lot of others, there were the following lines:

dbus_screensaver debug: cannot find service org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver dbus_screensaver debug: cannot find service org.freedesktop.PowerManagement.Inhibit dbus_screensaver debug: cannot find service org.mate.SessionManager dbus_screensaver debug: cannot find service org.gnome.SessionManager
These lines appear in the log files from many other people here in the forum as well but it looks like nobody is really taking care of them.
Plus, it appears as in particular, VLC is sending requests to dbus_screensaver for the org.freedesktop versions of these services - when I google these messages, VLC is mentioned in almost all search results.

My question: Is it indeed true that these lines in the logs can be safely ignored, or is there some recommendation on remediation?

On my system here, I seem to have the xfce counterparts for at least ScreenSaver and [SessionManager[/b]:

org.xfce.ScreenSaver org.xfce.SessionManager
Thank you very much and kind regards,
DAC324

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: VLC log entries dbus_screensaver debug: cannot find service org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 22 May 2021 11:37

You can safely ignore those errors to the extent that you don't care about VLC not disabling the screen saver while playing a video.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

DAC324
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC log entries dbus_screensaver debug: cannot find service org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver

Postby DAC324 » 24 May 2021 19:37

You can safely ignore those errors to the extent that you don't care about VLC not disabling the screen saver while playing a video.
Having the screensaver disabled while playing videos would indeed make sense.
How can I make VLC recognize that I have org.xfce.screensaver installed instead of org.freedesktop.screensaver?

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”