vlc not using system theme

*nix specific usage questions
scar
New Cone
New Cone

vlc not using system theme

Postby scar » 19 May 2019 06:34

I've installed VLC 3.0.6 from Debian Stretch repository, and it's showing up in a bright white theme, but my system is using a dark theme (adwaita-dark with global dark theme enabled). How to get VLC to show up using dark theme? thanks

clor
New Cone
New Cone

Re: vlc not using system theme

Postby clor » 12 Oct 2019 09:14

VLC seems to use Qt5 theming, whereas Adwaita-Dark is a gtk theme. These are different GUI toolkits. They use different code to draw things like buttons and menus etc. Linux programs do not universally share one windowing toolkit, and thus do not all share one global theme setting.

QT5 allows importing GTK themes like Adwaita-Dark. To enable this, i had to install qt5ct (qt5 change theme) and required dependencies, then ensure that

Code: Select all

QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct
was set in my environment.
This can be set globally by adding QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct
to the file /etc/environment, and restarting X.
You can also set it temporarily within a shell session with "export T_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct" in your current shell.

Then you can start qt5ct and select gtk2 as your style
Hit 'Apply' and 'Ok', then after restarting vlc, you should get Adwaita-Dark for your colors.
While this is not necessarily a 'VLC problem', it is a problem many will encounter, so it would be very helpful if VLC could ease this process, or at least point to a brief explanation of the issues with GTK and QT theming similar to what I have posted here.

Thanks!

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”